1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I just got slapped in the face by a G&L L-2500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Nov 30, 2006.

1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    .......... I honestly dont know what to say....

.... I really had no idea....... no idea at all..... I'd seen them around... thought they looked generally uninspiring...... picked one up today becuase it was the only thing at the guitar center that had fresh enough strings for me to try out a new cabinet.

THWACK!!

My EBMMSR5 is going on the block tomorrow............

I really never knew........ these basses wer MADE FOR METAL!!!

And this was a Tribute one... I can imagine the handmade.... what are the major differences?

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Those pick ups are massively hot ! :bassist:

3. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    It's pretty much just bragging rights, IMO. The Tribute is a great bass.

4. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Never, ever judge a bass on looks or the name alone. You must play it to decide anything.

I always tell folks to just plug one in and see for themselves if they like them. That Leo guy knew his stuff. ;)

Swing down into the G&L forum and post some pictures.

Granted they can look kinda plain. My plainest one is a mean mofo.

Jim

5. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

Major difference is the neck construction, fit and finish. The pups are the same, the bridge is same design but built overseas, the pots are cheaper, and I think the tuners are standard instead of ultralite. The neck on US versions is bi-cut, trussrod installed, and glued back together as opposed to the more traditional installing the trussrod behind the fretboard. G&L claims the bicut method leads to a stringer neck. I feel both the US and the Tribs are the best values in their respective price ranges.

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Which GC did you go to ?

7. LeftyJack

LeftyJack

Feb 23, 2006
    San Carlos, CA
    Congrats, I know the feeling well. I dig my ASAT, I only wish they made Tributes in left handed models, I have another (or two) G&L's for sure. We need pics!:smug:

8. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Damn, this wasn't the GC in Albany, was it? In the 4 years that I went to that place, they never had anything good.

What was the cab that you were trying out? I love G&Ls, but maybe the rig you played through contributed a lot to what you heard, you may wanna try your SR5 through the same gear before you make a move.

9. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    The G&L Tribute has a wonderful sound, and a neck like a salami. Really a shame, because with a playable neck, I'd snap one up in a minute.

10. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    ...and the great thing about them is that a country, blues, latin, or jazz player can pick it up and find a tone that makes THEM think "these basses were made for (insert music of choice)". And you can buy several of these for the price of one expensive designer instrument.

11. sanray

sanray

Nov 8, 2005
    You got slapped? it's a wonder you're still standing those things are quite large. anyway yeah cool basses all around hope you love it

12. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Ahhhh, another convert.
    Slowly but surely - all you have to do is play one!