Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i just got the aphex bass exciter pedal and...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by billybo, Dec 16, 2003.

1. billybo

billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    i cant tell the difference when its on and the high and low tune is turned all the way up compared to when its off...am i doin something wrong or is it just a weak pedal? i cant really tell the difference, and what is high and low tune any way? it says it has somethin to do with frequency but i cant hear a differnece with it turned all the way up and it turned down..a little help here people..thanks

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Have you read the manual? Do you know what this pedal does?

Alex

3. billybo

billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    yes i read the manual...i know what it says but i cant fully translate it into what it means..dont quite understand it yet..but i do know i cant tell any difference in the sound at all.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Why did you buy it then - what did you expect it to do? :confused:

From what I've read and heard, Aphex are well-known in the industry for recording gear and the idea of the original Aural Exciter was for an effect that, without altering the sound, actually made the instrument it was used on "stand out" in the mix.

So in that case it was not intended to be heard in isolation - I think that the effect is mostly taking place in the area of fairly high frequencies, so If you are not using it through "Hi-Fi" gear, you may well not hear anything.

But I think this makes a good case for saying, once again - try before you buy!!! :meh:

5. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    As Bruce said, the original line of Aphex products were designed to add extra highs to liven up the sound and were often judiciously used across whole mixes that had a lack of top end.

This new pedal has two independent functions. The 'Big Bottom' circuit uses a combination of low frequency enhancement (I think by some sort of EQ circuit) combined with a frequency specific compressor that ensures that the signal level stays the same despite the apparent extra bottom end. The 'Aural Exciter' synthesises extra high end, not merely turning a high EQ up but actually creating new highs by extrapolating the lower frequencies. The tune knobs control the frequency 'centres' of the low and high circuits.

Does that make sense?

So (not that I've used the new Aphex stuff, I've only used their older Exciters but this shouldn't be far off) if you want deeeeper bass set the LF tune low, if you want more midbass boom and thud set it higher, if you want top-end air tune the HF high, if you want lower treble bite set it lower.

Alex

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I had this pedal for a few months, then sold it. It is a very gentle effect, not terribly noticeable. It shifts the harmonics of the frequencies so they stand out in the mix a little differently. You are NOT going to hear a difference like you would with an EQ pedal. That is not the purpose of the Aphex. It is subtle.

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I have one (Eric's I think...) and yes the effect is subtle. I use is exclusively on my EUB.

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Billybo,

I bought this pedal as well, and agree that the effect is subtle. It's not an "in your face" change in the tone of your bass.

I've read the manual, and I think it explains it adequately for a layman. It enhances your tone by modifying the highs and the lows. It's not a pedal for everyone. The previous posts in this thread, and other Exciter threads in this forum, pretty much give a good overview of this pedal.

I don't use it with all of my basses. I occasionally use it with my Fenders.

9. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Are you still using a 10W combo? If so, that's the problem, not the pedal. Instead of polishing a turd, get something that's got some real bottom end.

Alex

10. VellaBass

VellaBass

Aug 29, 2003
    London, UK
    billybo - you need to hear it in the context of your band playing. FX designed to make things work better in a mix need to be listened to - in a mix:cool:

11. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    I play fast heavy music. It gives me a much cleaner and fatter sound. I use it all the time. I realy helps to clean up the low b on my 5 string. BTW, I run it with a carvin 1000 watt amp, carvin 4-10, 1-18 setup. I love it. Later Joe

12. billybo

billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    appreciate it guys....i will keep it and make it work...but i got a fender jazz active...but for those who own the pedal...should i use the active or passive function...the passive is louder but the active is not as loud but a little clearer...and i have an active bass...but thanks for all the help

13. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I always use the Exciter's passive input for both active and passive basses. I've had no problems when doing so.

14. El-Gato

El-Gato

Dec 3, 2002
    Hi I am interested in buying this pedal for my Modulus Flea 5. I've always loved the tone i get with my Modulus but I've always thought it could use a little more bottom end "oomph" to support the band a little more, the only thing ive heard in terms of how the pedal sounds is the exmaple on their website, which sounds like what i would want the pedal to do. Can anyone confirm for me if it sounds like the pedal could bolster my low end a little to get a more "bassy" sound without losing definition?

15. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    El Gato,

The pedal will add a full fat bottom to your sound (also a bit of hi-fi style top end). I've tried it on all of my basses with good results. I have not had a problem with losing definition. However, there are many other variables here including your finger touch, bass setup, tone settings on your bass and on your amp, etc. Whether or not you lose some definition when using the pedal may be an individualistic issue. As usual, it's best to try one out first before buying.

16. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    You may have to adjust the settings depending on the amp you are using.
    For extra lows:
    If you have a smaller combo - try turning the Lo-Tune Knob to 6 or 7 and the Lo-Blend to 10.
    If you have a large Biamp rig with an 18 - try turning the Lo-Tune to 4 or 5 and the Lo-Blend to 8.
    The highs seem to work better on a Passive bass than on an Active bass. I set my Hi-Tune between 2 and 4 depending on the Bass with the Blend around 7 or 8.

17. Mikemike

Mikemike Miscreant

Jun 18, 2002
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Turning the high and low tune knobs all the way up isn't what you want to do. They don't control the level of the effect, they determine which frequencies are enhanced. Frequencies lower than the setting of the lo tune are affected, frequencies higher than the setting of the hi tune are affected. The high and low blend controls how much difference the box makes. (and turning the high tune knob all the way up ensures that the aural exciter effect won't make a difference at all, as you are telling the box only to enhance anything above what the box has ability to do, if you get what I'm saying.)