Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just got the sweetest deal!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Pacman, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Sometimes everything comes together!

I was shopping for a new gig bag this weekend (my reunion blues bag has been around the world probably twice by now and is starting to show it). So I went to Mars and didn't like anything they had. I went to a local store that I had been to before. They had a Levy's bag that the last time I went the guy told would cost about $120 and a pretty sweet Fender bag that the guy said I could get for about $103....

The salesman I normally deal with wasn't there, and I asked another guy how much the Fender bag would cost.... he goes to "the book" and looks it up...then he gets out his calculator (must be a guitarist..)..... the he says "42 bucks".

I say (knowing this has to be wrong) "are you sure"

He goes "yeah, that's a deluxe bag - 42 bucks"

I walk him over to look at it....

He again says "yup - 42 bucks"

I'm pushing my debit card at him at this point, he rings me up.

I walk away with a Leather Fender Premium bag - for the aforementioned 42 bucks! After I got home I looked it up on Fender's website list was $149!

In the words of Kevin Spacey:

I rule!!!:D:D:D

2. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    speaking of deals, i was sitting in a guitar shop once around closing time with a friend. the owner was like, "hey, you guys want a couple t-shirts?" and he tosses us some shirts he got after buying a lot from some guitar company. it was pretty cool, we weren't even in there to buy anything.

3. About 2 years ago I purchased a Dean Edge Q5 in Trans-Red which had to be ordered. When it arrived the guy brought it out of the back in a brand new case, and told me the case was $100.

I told him to check his paperwork, because I didn't order the case. He says, "Oh well - we don't need an empty case laying around - give me $50 and it's yours".

Sold !

Another time, I ordered a 4 space rack bag off of E-Bay. I mailed out the money order, and after a week, I inquired with the seller (a music store). He said "oh sure, I got the payment, and even posted positive feedback for you". The rack bag arrived 3 days later. The next day, the money order came back to me. Seems the wife put the wrong address on the envelope.

It is nice to get a break every now and then. Seems all other times a trip to the music store is legal rape.

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

great movie....even better deal ;)

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    for all the texans here you have to post the address of that shop and the working time of that calculator equipped clerk!:D
    ask him how much, he'll strike you with his mighty calculator!!!

6. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Guitarist? I dunno Jon...that's sounds more like a drummer. Or better yet..a front man. Only a singer could be so convinced they're right when they're so wrong.

7. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hmm, a while ago at mars music I got a Bartolini musicman pickup for $30 on some "closeout, we aren't gonna stock these anymore, deal".. I think they normally sell for like $90, maybe more..

8. A couple of months ago I picked up a Hartke HA-7000 Head on closeout for $100 Wich i thought was an awesome deal.

9. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I think there is a difference between getting a break and getting something that you didn't pay for. I hope you sent the money back to the seller. :(

10. I got 2 Boss pedals for free once! It's good to be friends with guitarists with WAY too much gear. :)

11. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I've found that Guitar Shows can be a great deal, especially the really big ones. Generally, the stuff that dealers bring there is stuff they don't feel like packing into their trunk at day's end :p. I've seen cases in which already low prices will get even lower as the day goes on and nobody has bought yet. I got my Morley wah for $20 USD; could have gotten a G-K 800RB for $350 or so if I'd had that kinda cash :(

12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Xerox.

13. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Speaking of good deals, Sam Ash is selling Yamaha BBG5Ss for $300. I had to do a double take at the price. I've never seen Scam Cash give a 57% discount on anything.

14. Actually, I e-mailed the seller and got a phone number for contact. Even though I explained what happened, they insisted that their records indicated that the item was paid or else they would not have shipped.

At least I told them about their mistake. No different than knowingly paying less for an item and NOT telling them.