Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I Just Had a Great Art Exhibition

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I just got back from Connecticut a couple of hours ago. I had a two-person exhibition of paintings at the Golden Street Gallery in New London, CT, and it couldn't have gone any better. My friend Jessica and I were the two artists on display, and the opening night of the exhibition we had several hundred vistitors come in and out of the doors, which is great considering the size of the town. I sold two paintings and a pastel, so now I've also got enough for a nice used fretless or a good start towards a new one, and the show will be up until the end of the month, so who knows if others will sell. We were also interviewed by Fox news and a segment should be airing April 8th on tv, and we were mentioned on some college radio stations and in some local newspapers, and the show is supposed to be promoted on NPR as well. Maybe the coolest thing about the opening was that a teacher I had back in college purchased my most expensive painting; that was a nice feeling. So if anyone in the New England area is driving through, stop on in!

2. pics of your work?

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'll have them up as soon as possible. I've got the photos done-just need to go to my buddies house and scan them. One is of a group of musicians playing, and the bass player seems to have too many tuning pegs on his bass :D You'll see when they're up, but they are representational with strong value contrasts and a focus on intense color.

4. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Great job man, I look forward to seeing your work. You going to have any shows in Ohio? Would like to see your artistry in person....

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i know artists of all mediums hate to be categorized, but can you give us some idea
    of your style ? Abstract expressionist ?
    Futurist ?
    Realist ?

Just curious...

Glad your show went well.:)

6. Wow..thats must be a great feeling have your own show and to sell. I am happy for you.. lets see some pic's...What part of Ohio are you in? I got my BFA from the U of Cincinnati.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm going to have some shows in Ohio as soon as I can arrange it-I've only been here for two months so I'm still getting a feel for things.

And DonZ, my work is realist with an emphasis on color. The art school I went to is one of the few in the country that prioritizes old-world realism and drawing, while using modern painters as influences.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    :D Sorry Josh. We kinda left in a hurry. Hey, I'm not sure what kind of cable you have, but maybe you can catch the Fox news next Monday and see the show without having to drive anywhere :)

Right now I live in a suburb on the west side of Cleveland (Strongsville). I've had shows before and sold work from them, but this one had such a positive reaction from the community that it made it special to me.

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    where did you receive your training ?

10. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I recieved my degree and training from the Lyme Academy College of Fine Arts in Old Lyme, CT. Very small school, but very good at what they do. My college years were interesting, to say the least.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I think it's Fox as in Fox 61 in CT on April 7th at 10pm. I'm not sure yet-I had to get back to Ohio so I don't know all of the details yet; I'll post if the time changes. Don't worry about liking what you like-artists became pretty introverted around the turn of the century (20th, that is) and stopped educating the public about the art they were making, and as a result, the public was never fully informed about any of the art that was being created, resulting in the "I can do that" or "I don't get it" phenomenon, so about 90% of the public can only go on what they like. That's just how it goes, although I would love to see it change back to the days when people attended art exhibits like football games or movies.

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I go to every opening that I can. Now that I do not live near D.C . I really miss it . Tho we do have the Barnes Foundation here...

We have a nice tradition here in Bucks Co. Some od these artists di fantastic stuff. It's funny because I'm more of a DeKooning Fan.

And of course, we have the famous Artist of Chadds Ford still among us...

13. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    That's an impressive collection. I saw it when it was in Toronto in the mid-'90's on tour.

14. Go Bryan! I'm into Pre-Raphaelite stuff mostly. Maybe we'll have a chat sometime.

Knock 'em dead and good luck! :)

Mike

15. my art is like... abstract, i guess. i just draw whatever i draw. which is cappy :meh: i've been doing more work with charcoal lately, and i'm really diggin' it. painting is just disastrous for me, though.