1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I just had an eye opening thought.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Navybass, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    Did I ever say all???? Nope, I never did.

2. Agreed, also part of the problem. Lowest investment for maximum return. Simple as that. Its a formula does not promote quality, only minimum quality..

3. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    You basically dumped open a drum of gasoline and gave everyone a match.

4. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    Yea, I probably did, didn't I. :help:

5. Amen, I'd love to work in a Fender plant. I would try to make better basses than any other employee ever had. Soon they would promote me for having custom shop quality on all my work. And soon after that I would own Fender.

6. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    The Estimated Prophet....

My time's comin' any day.... ;^)

7. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    So, why are the workers in the US the most productive?

Dan K.

8. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    How do you figure that they're more productive?

9. Americans always seem to assume that anything American - products, ideas, sports, culture - is, or should be, superior to anything else in the world.

It's a big, ancient world out there. The Chinese invented gun powder. Japan built impressive battleships and airplanes in the World War II, etc., etc. No power lasts forever.

10. REAPER52

REAPER52

Aug 17, 2008
    FL-Central
    I am not sure Japan can be in the group of asians- They have a much better work ethic - then the others. I know money or wage plays into this sort of- but it should not - your craftsmanship should be what it is regaurdless of what your getting paid-- That is why i dont think the Japanese are like any others- They just try to do as good a job as they can no matter what. i wish we had that here

11. Consider the fact that a chinese family on the country side, need round about $600-$700 A YEAR to survive, and the math is not so hard to understand ... In the cities, depending on what city etc. (how intoxicated by capitalism it's been so far), you need a lil more, but I know a woman in Shengzen who works as a sales assistant in the technology industry, and she earns a cpl o hundred dollars a month and she's pretty ok with that (and yes she send money home to her parents in the country side every month too).

D.Don

12. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Yeah. You're a bass player. Not all of their employees are necessarily musicians. A lot less exciting if it's not something you're personally passionate about.

13. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Also, this thread is, at its very heart, stereotypical. Just because Asia produced the samurai they all have that mentality burned into their brain? Hmmm.

There are lazy people and driven people in every culture.

14. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I hear a certain someone saying this as well, and I'd like to know how they come up with saying US is the MOST productive per worker.

Growing up with a Japanese household, I do recognize they are pretty hard core. And compared with what I see these days and where I grew up, they are certainly very driven and have obviously succeeded at a lot of what they do. I mean, do Sony and Yamaha really have a lot of peers? my opinion.

I just thought you guys would like to know that more japanese kids are becoming screwups due to western culture and MTV and clubbing and all of that. There was a very traditional source in Japan, and its somewhat giving way to a younger culture. Some of which is really on the ball, some of which is less so.

But then agin, I think their need to pay greeters at every dept store is not as great as they once thought.

Another weird point in this thread is that China can't blow it out of the water when they want to. There are so many sides of China that they are really the worst people to stereotype, and the ones that know what they are doing are every bit as competent and brilliant as anyone here. However, I think we can agree that at the top, it gets real sketchy. But then again, what about here? ;)

15. boomski

boomski

Feb 12, 2005
    Tokyo
    There are also some whole cultures based of the concept of individualism and self satisfaction (i.e. me first-ism ) and then there are other cultures where group success ( and pride ) and the well being of others is more highly valued . Stereotypes aside in general the Japanese culture is much more accurately described by the later . IMHO .

16. Slats

Slats

Apr 25, 2004
    We, Americans, seem to have gotten off the hard beaten path of Free Enterprise. Asian countries don't really have the added luxury of control and regulations that we enjoy.

If I have an air-conditioned building for my Federal or State minimum wage employees, and it goes out I cannot add a little bit of Freon R-22 for instance, to get it back to a comfortable temperature for my employees without hiring an air-conditioning tech who gets paid a good wage, benny's, and has the blessing of agencies such as EPA etc. Ok you get the picture. It all adds up to a LOT more expense for labor than would be incurred in so many other countries. :bassist:

17. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    The japanese wages arent lower than the americans, its the opposite,the life cost in Japan is higher than in the USA. They are just extremely hard working.

18. EclecticElectrk

EclecticElectrk

Aug 26, 2008
    Brooklyn
    not that this thread needs another accusatory element to it - but really. the orient? :rollno: come on. its the 21st century.

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i have yet to see any japanese-made bass that was consistently measurably better than its american-made counterpart, comparing apples to apples, price-wise. that goes for beginner instruments or custom boutique instruments.

so, no.:eyebrow:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.