1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I just had lunch with one of the most incredable women I ever meant.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stewie26, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

My wife and I had lunch yesterday with Iris Cummings Critchell who has been a friend of my family since the early 1930's. We were celebrating her 98th birthday. She is an Olympic athlete and competed in the 1936 Olympics in Berlin. She also became a pilot at 18 years old and was ferrying military aircraft across the country from the plane factories to the Air Force bases. This was even before the WAFS were organized in WW ll. She still is in very good health, walks fast and her brain is very sharp. Yesterday, she was telling us stories how most men treated her in the 1940's when she was flying B-25 bombers and P-51 fighter planes. Basically, it was a go to the kitchen and make me another sandwich mentality back then. That said, she did not let it bother her and just carried on. Anyway, I left the lunch very inspired by her stories and thinking what an honor it was to be with one of the very first role models for modern women. She has just finished writing her menoirs and the book is supposed to release early next year. The name will be the "Privilege Of Flight".

Lunch with Iris.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  2. Very cool story. What a wonderful life she has made for herself.

Mr_Moo and Stewie26 like this.
  3. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Awesome! I love stories like this.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    My wife and I are bringing up our girls in the same way. "Say what you want, but get out of my way. I have work to do."

Inspiring story. I look forward to the book.

S-Bigbottom, Mr_Moo and Stewie26 like this.
  5. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    same here, please post a reminder when it comes out. Sounds like an inspiring read.

6. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

They now are calling people of this age, "The Greatest Generation". I am thinkin there maybe some accuracy to that. Just sayin.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  7. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    No arguments here.

Stewie26 likes this.
  8. Unfortunately, the forum only allows for a single "thumbs up." This young lady deserves many more than one.

And our thanks for helping with the war effort. With out her, and the other women who flew in WWII, the war would have taken much longer.

edg

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  9. That's awesome man!

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
  11. Aaaaaaaaaaand I feel more like a loser. Cool story though!

TC424 and S-Bigbottom like this.
  12. Stop making sandwiches and go do stuff. :smug:

TOOL460002 and TC424 like this.
  13. My granddaughter comes from a long line of sandwich makers.
    My Father made sandwiches, (Owned a restaurant).
    I made sandwiches in a sandwich shop before sandwich shops were a thing. (High School job)
    My daughter worked at Subway (High School job)
    Had the grand kid been a boy, he would have have been named Earl. :roflmao:

btmpancake likes this.
  14. The Lady in the OP did not make sandwiches and look what she did. :p

Stewie26 and Old Garage-Bander like this.
  15. jeffb28451

jeffb28451

Aug 6, 2006
    Leland NC
    Wow! Thanks for the heads up on the book. I’m looking forward to that read!

Stewie26, guitar ed and S-Bigbottom like this.