1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I just had the Series / Parallel switching done and...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by phatbassplayer, Oct 22, 2010.

1. phatbassplayer

phatbassplayer

Apr 7, 2009
    Illinois
    I just had the parallel / series switching done on my 5 string SX jazz bass.. WOW what a difference in tone.. I had them replace ALL of the pots with new CTS pots, orange drop cap, its a push pull as described in the diagram below.

Also had a pro setup done, with crowning and leveling, new pure graphite nut and new high mass bridge installed..

The bass sounds so much better, clarity has been enhanced, muddiness is gone.. Solid thump from the B string now.. If you guys and gals out there that can't afford and active circuit or don't like an active bass and want a mod done that is practical and toneful.. I would recommend this mod as one of the best for a jazz bass or similar dual single coil setup bass.

Here is the diagram:
    [​IMG]

2. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Great info! Gracias!

3. Series/parallel switching is extremely common on Jazz basses.

4. Yup... I almost never play my Reverend out of series. It sounds awesome like that for sure.

5. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    When I had a Jazz I used the neck pickup alone or both in series about 98% of the time.

6. phatbassplayer

phatbassplayer

Apr 7, 2009
    Illinois
    This is my first experience with this - I have always been partial to active basses.

7. Which pot is the push/pull?

I want to replace the pots in my Jazz bass and this seems like a very practical mod. In addition to the pots and cap, did you replace all the wiring as well?

8. phatbassplayer

phatbassplayer

Apr 7, 2009
    Illinois
    #1 volume knob closest to the bridge

9. Bevo1995

Bevo1995

Nov 8, 2009
    Heart o' Texas
    Agreed! I just did this to my J and I absolutely LOVE it!

10. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    I have an SX 5 string fretless J and I did this setup when I put barts in it. Sounds AMAZING now.

11. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    it totally doesn't matter. the "push-pull" section of the pot is completely separate from the "potentiometer" part.

i usually pick the pot that gets grabbed the least and is out of the way to make the push-pull, so it doesn't get switched accidentally. i would choose the tone pot on a jazz for this reason.

12. I would also choose the tone pot, because it is more difficult to find linear taper push/pull pots for volumes than it is to find audio taper push/pull pots for tones.:hyper: