Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just have to show off my new headless 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dirk Diggler, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Well it's not new, but it is new to me. :) This is the 3rd Frenz bass I own, and just as spectacular as expected. If you ever get a chance to try one of Bob's wonderful creations by all means do it. This was another Ebay buy and all the Frenz basses were gotten that way, without ever playing them. I have yet to figure out why people are getting rid of them, but I will keep grabbing as many as my wallet will allow! LOL
    OK yeah this will be the last one for a while, but who needs food when you can play a great bass instead!
    Top is Birdseye Maple, tiny Wenge strip, Mahogany, tiny Maple strip, and Wenge. Neck is 3 piece Hard Maple, Ovankol fretboard lined with Birdseye Maple. A tiny strip of wenge under the fretboard and Purpleheart side markers. And of course that's abalone on the fretboard and the logo.
    Enjoy!
    Dirk

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    That thing is awesome -- nice score! What's the string spacing at the bridge?

3. I like the 26 frets!

4. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    That is the niftiest place to put a jack!

5. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Steve Vai and Nathan East think so as well.

6. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    i'm usually not a fan of headless basses, but that's nice!

7. Thanks for the quick responses!
    I just measured the strings at the bridge and it's 3 3/8" yeah I know I should know what that is in mm, but you can do the math. :)
    I just tape measured from the outside of the B to the outside of the C, is that the right way?
    It's become my new number 1 bass. I was never a big headless fan either but this doesn't even feel like it.
    And I've been playing in some small clubs and the Ol' 36" scale and huge headstock on my other bass just wasn't working.
    I do blame this forum for fueling my GAS, damn you guys!
    But with that said I've never been happier!
    Dirk

9. that was on ebay right? i remember seeing that, and i was quite tempted to bid, but funding did not allow. o well, at least i know a fellow TB'er got it. congrats!!

10. NICE. I like the way the wings are not mounted flat. What is that round thing at the back where the controls are?

11. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    That is sexyness. :hyper:

12. Interestingly enough that on the back panel is where the original EMG preamp had a recessed pot. The previous owner filled the hole with an acoustic endpin. :)

He sent the original EMG's and the electronics, which I will put back in if I don't fall in love with the basslines currently installed. The gigs this weekend will be the time to decide, I haven't even played it through my rig yet, just straight into my console. And it sounds great so I can only imagine how it will through 1k watts and my trusty Flite cabs.

And yes indeed it was on Ebay a few times and it was going for too much, also he was selling it with a fretless version. I only had enough cash for one. I waited for it to show up on it's own, and pounced!

Dirk

13. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    amazing. good score!

14. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    AND STEVE VAI.

15. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    had I the dough, I woulda bought the matching fretted and fretless ones off the Bay, now that I'm getting back into 6 =0) - they appear to be awesome instruments. Congrats - do you have the matching fretless as well or are your other RJF basses different?

16. ...touchê

:ninja:

17. Hey jammadave,
    This is the fretted that was paired up on the bay like a month ago. He split them up since nobody came up with the cash for both. It is a tremendous playing bass. The fretless ended up going for I think $1025, I'm sure it is great, but to me the top wasn't crazy enough for me. And 1 pickup?????
    To me Bob is a highly underrated builder, he makes fantastic basses and when I save up some more, I'm going to have him build me a custom 6 fretless.
    Dirk

18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's a fantastic bass! I tried to win a Frenz fretless 6 off of Ebay about a year and a half ago with partial purpleheart lines and an unlined center strip. The seller took the bass off auction to sell it to someone (I hate when they do that).

Also, when I lived in Cleveland, I tried to contact Bob Frenz to build me a custom fretless 6, but he never answered the phone or returned any of the messages I left :confused:, so I ended up going with another Ohio luthier.

19. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

If you don't just rip the frets out of that one first!

Nice score Dirk. Are you gonna bring it out here, or do I have to come to Anytown to check it out?

20. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, that's a pretty radical and cool looking instrument