Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just heard NickTheBassist's new recording.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Nick sent me a recording of himself with his new amp and I think he's using his warwick. I am quite impressed. He has improved greatly and I'm actually digging his tone. His new amp really sounds great. Kudos to you Nick!

I'll try to get it uploaded. I like it :)

2. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Ooops, I must be lost, I had no idea these were the official Nickthebassist forums, won't happen again, suh.

3. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Cool, I want to hear it. :bassist:

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    .... Don't be an arse.

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Told ya he was pretty good

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Whatever it sounds like, it's gotta be better than "The Mentalist" :D I'm glad to hear he's making progress-a good amp can help you hear what you're doing much more clearly.

7. Oh boy, the mentalist. :p

8. +1 :scowl:

9. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    OK, who's the "Mentalist"?

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's the title to one of Nick's older mp3s. I'm sure Nick himself is willing to admit that that one is less than great. But I'm still looking forward to hearing the new track. I don't think Whafrodamus would have said it was pretty good if he really didn't think it was.

11. Hey thanks guys. And my god, 'the mentalist'....that was, errr, slightly crazy. I just went mental with the fieldy slap. *shifty look* and will, it is my warwick! The EQ was switched off for the RATM bit. I turned it on for the slap and pop stuff to get a fat sound. I'm currently going and getting all my favourtie bass tones, and I nailed the Never Again growl this afternoon when twiddling about with the amp(s) and overdrive pedal. I'll post some clips sometime(when i can be arsed to drag my rig upstairs).

12. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I heard it, you've still got a long way to go but you're getting there! MUCH better, and your tone is pretty decent, aren't you glad you finally listened to us and got your amp :p keep it up.

13. how did you hear it already? is there a link i cannot see?

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive heard it. If you contact me on AIM i can send it to you, or contact Nick and ask him for it.

His tone is better, still a little too trebely for my tastes and a little harsh, but thats the way he likes it, nice and growly.

His playing is better. Plays a few incorrect notes here and there, but his timing is improving.

Keep it up.

15. Pretty much what I was thinking. Definently better than the last couple things I heard from him.

Here is a link for the recording: www.sentryelite.com/nickthebassist/nicknewrig.mp3 (3.47mb)

16. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Ahhh! The treble. My head will burst. ;)

I would tell you that your playing is improving, but I havn't heard The Mentalist so I can't really compare them.

But yeah, it certainly isn't bad.

EDIT: Are all ashdowns that bright? I was thinking about buying the MAG300H, but I was looking for a darker sound. A much darker sound.

17. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Definitely showing some improvement, and the tone is a hell of a lot better. Keep working on your timing and rhythm-remember, if you're timing is good enough, the occasional wrong note can sound like a purposeful one, or a passing tone.

18. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    They have EQ controls.

19. Aye, I hadn't played Bomb Track for months, so it was still a little dodgy here and there.

20. :eek: Treble? That's not treble! That's growl! :D