Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just learned that I've got tinnitus.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Guss, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Yup. As it turns out I have tinnitus. I've been learning more and more about it, and I have the symptoms. It comes from my out of line jaw. But you know what the weirdest thing is? I don't care. I don't even care to the least. Wouldn't this drive people insane? I've heard of people who have commited suicide over it. The reason I don't care is that since it comes from my out of line jaw, I've had it my entire life. Every time I was in silence, the ring was there, but I just thought it was the natural sounds heard by you when nothing else was put over it. So really, that is silence to me.
    It's still kinda weird though, to know that I have a disease that would drive most people literally insane, and I don't even seem to care. Lucky me.........uhh, right?:)

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Join the club. I also have the "Out of line" jaw. but ive had it since birth. It's not a big deal, but they said one of the reasons i would always listen to music as a kid was to deaden the sound of "the ring". I'll stick by the fact that i love it. (music)

I wonder how rare this really is?

3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Even if it's been weeks since a rehearsal, I hear a constant ring. I used to think it was some kind of "hum of life" kind of thing that everybody to a certain extent experienced.

I'm not sure if loud music exacerbates the situation, but I still don't have to turn up music any louder, or have people repeat things. I hear the cat sneaking about at night, and other subtleties, but the ringing's there. After a week layoff from rehearsing, my ears have a ring now.

Can't do much about it.

4. Ya know I think I have it too. I not sure what qualifies as an out of line jaw but my ears do ring. I have been seeing bands in bars since I was five but regularly since I was eight, and worse I have been running sound since I was seventeen and some nights I topped the 118db barrier with out plugs. Since my band has restarted I wear the plugs always, we easily nail 110db at practice and I couldn't take it the day after practice. I have always since i remember had a ring in my ears. It sounds like the high pitched TV noise when the sound is off. Here is my dilemma, I am now 22 is this ringing going to get worse with age?

If there is any info on the web could someone please email me the addresses?

5. It sounds like the loud music has gotten yours. But at least you've had it for a while.
    I feel sorry for those who damage their ears mid-life, and have to cope with it. That sucks.:(

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Hey terry, can you "pop" your jaw to? I have to move mine to the right for it to "Pop" but then it just goes right back to where it was. I remember doing it when i was 5.

7. I wonder if this is what i have....I'm getting braces in 2 weeks for a number of reasons, one of them being when ever i open my jaw, there is a slight pop. I also have the ringing..

8. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    seattle
    I believe I've had an undiagnosed case of tinnitus for years. Do any of you experience the following; no obvious ringing, then all of a sudden, noticeably audible ringing in one ear? I've always found it strange when that happens, but it's never posed a problem for me.
    I actually left a show early last night because of the volume. 'Drive by Truckers', very loud.

9. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I have the random ringing like you do, but it goes away shortly. It isn't constant, and it is actually pretty rare that I get it. It doesn't bother me.

10. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    seattle
    I wonder if mine is there more often than I realize but goes unnoticed since it doesn't seem to bother me. All I know is, my musical ear is better than most.

11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Wow, and HUMBLE to!

I have the ringing all the time, all day, every second. i belive this is what tinnitus is.

12. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Mine definitely comes on at times, and it's not just "unnoticed". When it does come, it fades fast and goes away, and it is never a problem, and it hardly bothers me. My ear is "better than most" as well, if I do say so myself ;)

13. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    seattle
    nice, very friendly!

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, be sure to wear plugs when you play so that it doesn't get worse.

[/mommy mode]

15. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    seattle
    Last night I made a pact with myself never to attend a show without a pair of earplugs again.

16. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I do, every band practice, and every drumline practice :)

An entire marching band drumline practicing indoors. We are playing a show based on Rush :) Parts of Tom Sawyer, Yyz, and Limelight. I get to play my bass for the show :D:D

17. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I've had a clicky jaw for years. I developed mild tinnitus 2 years ago. I keep it at bay with ER20's. Also it gets worse when you are tired (and you cannot sleep because of the noise etc)

18. I've had mild tinitus since my teen years probably (I'm 35 now) due to many loud Iron Maiden and Motorhead shows, and the invention of the Sony walkman, which since it went to "10" meant I had to play it at "10" :) Anyhow, it doesnt drive me insane, and I really only notice it if things are deadly quiet, and living in a city, that isnt very often. I run a humidifier in the bedroom to create some white noise and never have a problem sleeping. Ear plugs are a necessity for practice and seeing shows (especially Motorhead, they are still the loudest band you'll ever see) - I never where earplugs when I gig, I just can't get used to that onstage.

19. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    I too have tinnitus, since around last year. I had a bout of bad colds, which they think could've have damaged some of the nerve endings on the cochlea of the ear (the snail shell looking organ). I learned that tinnitus can be also be caused by exposure to loud noises, which may also result in hearing loss with or without tinnitus. Tinnitus also may come with old age due to hearing deterioration.

Tinnitus is not a disease but a condition, and I read that it is estimated that almost a quarter of all Americans have tinnitus to SOME extent, from the mild, "can barely even hear it" to "loud im gonna kill myself" type.

There is a website I know of that actually sells a homeopathic (herbal) remedy(s) that can cure tinnitus completely or to an extent. They have good reviews/testimonials and are reccomended.

If anyone wants the address, its: www.tgone.com

20. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Me either. i think we are the minority.