Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just made the best trade yesterday!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by punkbassist, Dec 31, 2001.

1. punkbassist

punkbassist Guest

Dec 3, 2001
    New Jersey
    Yesterday I made a trade at the rutherford music exchange. I traded them my fender p-bass deluxe special and my gallien krueger amp head. I have a fender amp head which is a hell of alot better. I traded that stuff for a 3 EQ musicman stingray 4. Its the greatest bass i have played. I like the sterling and all but i like this one because this is a '79 leo fender musicman. Plus it plays great. THe next bass i want is a sabre of a stingray 5 w/o piezo

2. that is actually quite the awesome trade!!!!

Pics???

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    is that an american p-bass? that would be about $1000 and a GK amp head was what? $500? now don't get me wrong.. I love my ray 5 I thinkthey are great. but You probably could have gotten a better deal.. But still congrats on your new bass. its a good one :)

4. punkbassist

punkbassist Guest

Dec 3, 2001
    New Jersey
    not yet. Im playing a gig tonight so hopefully i will have some pics that people send me from the gig. Its gonna be a sweet ska show for my band

5. punkbassist

punkbassist Guest

Dec 3, 2001
    New Jersey
    its a original musicman the ones that leo fender helped build to get the company started

6. punkbassist

punkbassist Guest

Dec 3, 2001
    New Jersey
    Its a musicman sting ray 4. Its one from when fender made them. There wasn't any stingray 5 until EB bought musicman.there was only the stingray and the sabre. he only made 4 strings. because it was fender's thing. after leo died the 5 strings by fender came out

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    oh well then.. yeah that is a kicken deal... congrats..

8. i think that what he was asking was if the bass YOU traded was an american P-bass.

9. punkbassist

punkbassist Guest

Dec 3, 2001
    New Jersey
    it was made in mexico

10. If that Stingray is a 3 band (4 knob) there is no way that it's a 79. The 3 band Stingrays were introduced after Musicman was bought by Ernie Ball.

11. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    My Thought Exactly

12. punkbassist

punkbassist Guest

Dec 3, 2001
    New Jersey
    i always thought the stingray was always a 3-band

13. Musicman introduced the Stingray in 1976. Ernie Ball bought Musicman around 1984 so Stingrays made between 76 and 83 are often refered to as pre-EB. I could be wrong but the 3 band EQ was introduced around 89. Pre-EB 'Rays in good shape usually will run in the $1200+ range. If this dealer told you that the bass was made when Leo Fender was at Musicman he flat out lied to you. Sorry man.

14. punkbassist

punkbassist Guest

Dec 3, 2001
    New Jersey
    he wasn't lying. it had the 2 guys playing guitar. Their legs were shaped as the MM. It was a fender musicman.

15. well...this is a 79, notice the two band EQ (and Jeff Ament :) )

16. Does it say Ernie Ball anwhere on the headstock? Is the neck plate a 3 bolt and is the truss rod adjustment a bullet type and at the headstock? Is the output jack on the top or on the side of the body? Is the body contoured?

Just curious.

17. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    It shouldn't be that hard to figure out whether it's a 3 band EQ or not...haven't you turned the knobs?

Either way, cool deal.

18. punkbassist

punkbassist Guest

Dec 3, 2001
    New Jersey
    i haven't really done much with it im not familiar with the musicman. Im a fender and g&l person

19. I'm not picking on you. I just figured that you'd notice some of these things.

20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

It is entirely possible that a previous owner replaced the stock 2-band EQ with a newer 3-band EQ. I did the very same thing with my pre-EB MM Cutlass I, but then decided I liked the 2-band better in that bass. (The 3-band sounds fabulous in my EB Sabre.)