Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just made the fretbuzz WAY worse.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Apr 18, 2005.

1. well i got the bass intonated, tuned and everything, i even bowed the truss rod like garry willis said.,.. credit card.... well.... there is no fret buzz on 1-4 but the fretbuzz is huge 6-8 and then just bad on 9-20.

so i tightedend it back up a little... still awful.... what gives?

Old renegade bass... still learning to setup myself so when it comesto good bases i have some experience....

before there was a little fret buzz here and then, now it is catastrophic...

Thanks

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, what does the neck look like? Is it bowed away from you (while in playing position) or towards you? You may need to adjust the bridge as well. Let's see a picture of this bass.

3. Well it is bowed slightly toward me, away from the strings...and it was flat when i started. No space when youfret the first and puch at the end of the neck.Now there is a little space. I moved it back to flat... still major buzz, so I moved it to slightly bowed again, still bad....

the action i would consider quite high, if i lower it it doest work becuase the strings bang onto other frets rather than just fret buzzing.

Here is the bass.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

4. Are you saying the neck is bent backwards? The neck should have a SLIGHT bow towards the strings.

5. alibloke

alibloke

Dec 17, 2004
    Bristol, England
    I agree, you definitely need to take things slower, at least allow your truss rod to settle down overnight. A good setup guide can be found for bass at

http://www.mrgearhead.net/

See the Fender section.

The site reccomends a gap 0.035" for a Fender Jazz between the bottom of the strings and the top of the eighth fret, when holding the string down at both the first and last fret.

On my Yamaha I tend to use a gap of 0.04" seems to work better, but your bass is probably somewhere in this ballpark. Just make very slight adjustments and take your time. :)

Its also worthwile investing in a good set of feeler guages which will should only set you back afew dollars. This will let you better control your adjustments.

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Ernt, wrong. Measure your relief, how you say? On the E string, fret the first fret and the fret where the neck meets the body (probably around the 15th fret). This turns the string into a straight edge and you can see how much curve is in the neck. There should be a little relief at the mid point (some might say a credit card's thickness).
    Just my $0.02

Ray

7. You guys are probably right, I am doing way too much at once...I'll fiddle with it for the next few days and if there is still a problem I'll ask for help :). I also apologisefor filling the boards with all my crap/

Mike.