I just need to let the anger out...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tyler Hole, May 13, 2004.

1. Well Tuesday I went and tried out for this one local band and we were jamming good and stuff, but there was also someone else there, my friend Luke, who also happens to be the guitarist I always jam with.

Well, it was his first time really playing bass (other than fooling around with mine occasionaly) and honestly, it was horrible. So at the end of the audition the guitarist/singer/bandleader told me I was in. Cool...so I thought...

Last night I get a call from him saying we are going to practice, but he wants to hear Luke play some more. I didn't question it, just thought it was a bit odd.

Well, today we go and Luke just played absolutely horrible...I tried to get him going good, but it didn't work out. For one, when he tries fingerstyle - he pops the strings. Also he can't mute worth a damn, strings were being hit and making it all sound horrible. Then on top of that on some songs he was 1-2 beats behind.

The horn section didn't seem like they were having fun and the drummer seemed a bit annoyed. When they took a break I picked up the bass and started playing and the drummer and horn section joined in and we had an awesome lil jam - You could totally tell they were having fun...then Luke came back and they seemed to of had all the fun sucked out of them.

Now, on top of that, Luke kept having to stop playing in the middle of a few songs complaining of his hand hurting - What good is that going to do at a show, let alone for the song during practice? Exactly - Nothing.

Well, after we were all done Chase goes "Luke, I'll see you this weekend, we have a lot of songs to go over and learn". I'm thinking, "WHAT THE F*CK?!".

Now Luke is my friend and I didn't want to look like an ass, but damn, what the hell is this guy thinking? May seem I'm mad at Luke, but I'm not. I'm really just mad at the guitarist because, IMO, he made a stupid ass decision.

Ugh...sorry for the post, I'm just really mad and annoyed right now and needed to let it all out.

2. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    Malcolm X………Malcolm X, Malcolm X, Malcolm X…… Malcolm X. The Man, The Myth, The Civil Rights leader. “By any means necessary,” through the struggles of the African American oppression, did he forge. In Malcolm’s time he was looked at as a leader (the leader of a religion) A terrorist (the leader of a religion) and a miracle worker with talents in the tongue compared only to that of a cat (the leader of a religion). He lived the lowest lows, enjoyed the highest highs, and suffered the greatest loss, losing his own life. He was assassinated, I don’t know exactly how did it, but I’m rather certain it was the “white devil”. Malcolm was a man, a myth, and a powerful leader with great influence on the world as we know it.
  3. Bass of Galt

Bass of Galt Guest

Mar 25, 2004
    Scrotillia Falls
    That sounds so irrational I'd swear you made it up. ;)

In my experience - musicians tend to be either too polite - or too much of a *(&^!!

Perhaps the guitarist was just being too polite.

I've had a few "auditions" where it obviously didn't click and still had the leader talk about giving me a call to get together again. Puuuleeese!
  4. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I don't understand; are you saying they want you friend to play and not you or they want both of you to play bass or they want you on bass and your friend on guitar.
  5. Yeah...I'm wishing I did make it up...One other really sad thing is that Luke even said "Hey, you should get Tyler to play for you" which is how I got the audition in the first place..
  6. Luke and I both went there to try out to be their bassist...
  7. Bass of Galt

Bass of Galt Guest

Mar 25, 2004
    Scrotillia Falls
    Bro - there's obviously something else going on there. I can't even begin to speculate - but it's obvious that there's more than sheer talent being considered by the guitarist.

Okay - I can begin to speculate - HA!! Maybe he wants someone who is insecure so they don't mind sticking to thumpin out 1/8th notes on the root. I played with a guitarist that was very territorial and felt threatened with the more adventureous bass parts I created.

He may be looking for someone he can dominate rather than someone with which he'll have to collaborate.
  8. LoL. One other thing that the guitarist actually got annoyed at was the fact that Luke kept adding in notes to some of the songs! I mean, I wasn't making up my own parts to the songs, it's quicker to learn them if he gives me a tab and I play along. I mean, they have like 21 songs to learn and have a show next Friday and Luke will be busy all weekend, so no time to really practice! I just don't get stupid people sometimes...And also, I would add my .02 in on some stuff and he would say "Hey, good idea. That works real well" so it's not like he DOESN'T want input.
  9. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    He should start a band with Brad Johnson's drummer friend.

10. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Ok, just chill, it's not the music, just the politics of friends ...
    People your age don't have enough tact to choose between 2,
    just figure it out, there will be other chances, don't worry.

Everybody has to make their mistakes ...
    And at your age, there are plenty of other bands.

Move forward, Hole!
  11. I guess it is just really annoying me due to the stupidity of the guitarist and how much fun it was to play with them and I really enjoyed playing the music. Right now I'm just listening to some Vertical Horizon to keep my anger down and keep me from breaking something.
  12. Resist the temptaion to tell them how stupid they're being - if you remain positive and supportive, when they trainwreck and realize they need a real bassist, they may come to you on bended knee, if you haven't burned that bridge.
  13. It's what I've been telling myself actually. If their making choices like that then I don't need them.

I'm not going to even bother - I think I pretty much know the answer - Because Chase knows Luke better than he does me. I honestly think it's stupid when he's trying to make a GOOD band that will do good, but Chase is a weird guy (I somewhat know him) and he is just like that.
  14. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    ....Just don't loan out your equipment, friends or no............
  15. Tyler, sorry things went funko. :meh:

Continue to keep the faith on bass, be patient, and know that you will have better opportunities in the future. :)
  16. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    maybe they dont know what double bass means :D

:bassist: :bassist:
  17. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    agree. it's already a strange situation for you---don't put yourself in the "yeah, you can borrow my gear anytime" position.
  18. I feel much better now! After reading SMASH's post I kept the calling him and asking him idea in mind and I did last night. He told me that he really hadn't decided yet (Then why is he telling Luke he has lots of songs to learn?) and that whoever he chooses would be temporary and just for the show they have next friday. He also said I didn't seem into the music, I dunno where he gets that idea. I was totally grooving to it...cept in the beginning when I was getting to know some of their songs. He also told me that I would most likely end up playing bass for him and he would get Luke in on guitar. So atleast it's something to look forward to. I still don't know exactly why he chose Luke for the show coming up, but I'd rather NOT have to learn 21 songs in a week :D
  19. Hey, that st00pid bandleader is the only loser in the end. You win a chance to get a better gig with someone who actually have a clue about good bass playing. Hang on, my friend! :)
  20. I know how ya feel man. I am in a situation *kinda* similar to yours. My friend asked me if I would check his band out to see if I wanted to play in it, so I did and I thought they were pretty good musicians. What I didn't know is that one of the guitarist girlfriend's is currently playing bass in their band, and she sucks horribly and everyone in the band but the guitarist wants a new bassist.

My friend told me to bring my gear about a week later and play with them, so I did. Well when I get there the girl is already set up and gets pissed that I am there and that they are thinking about getting a new bassist. Noone else in the band cares but the guitarist, who doesn't want to get dumped. So they decide to have an emergency meeting of parliament to decide who should play bass, and I only got to jam with the drummer a little bit. They decide that they will give the girl a few more weeks to improve and if she doesn't, they will call me back. Its been about a month since then and it looks like they will stick with the crappy bassist. Oh well, if they don't want the ultimate funk master Eric in there band, its their loss :cool: