Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just ordered a GK neo112.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stanley Design, Jun 3, 2005.

1. 600 dollars plus taxes for a frikken 112.....it better be good:s

I'm not too worried, I like what it's described as. I hope to have two of these after a while, for for the price, one of these and a used head will be perfect for my area. What would be a good used head I could use with it does anyone know? Wattage isn't too big a deal around my area, hoping maybe like 300-400 watts, anybody use this cab with a yorkville bm400 head? I like how clear and articulate that head is, and it's great for the price.

2. jza57

jza57 Supporting Member

Dude , for some reason that price doesn't sound right. Are you sure you didn't order a 212 ?

3. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    that does seem high- the list on them is only $579... unless you're not in the usa :bassist:

4. Canadia!

5. Can someone help find a head that will suit my needs? I'm thinking either yorkville or GK, but haven't been able to try either with this cab. Whoever owns this cab, what do you use? Maybe the yorkville XS800h or its little brother?

6. I own a GK Neo 212 and a GK Neo 115. I use a 1001RB-II and would recommend that head. That way you can take advantage of the bi-amp system.

7. If you decide on a GK head, the 700RB would be a safer option than the 1001RB. The Neo 112 is rated at 300 watts @ 8ohms. The 700RB does 320 watts at 8 ohms which is a reasonable match. The 1001 does 460 watts which is too much power for the 112 by itself. However, Todd Johnson uses the 1001 with the 112, but he plays quietly and only went for the higher power so that he will have an ultra clean sound (high headroom). If you intend to play rock or slap, go for the 700RB instead.

8. Cool thanks. The store I ordered the cab from has a 1001 so I can try it out with that before ordering whichever I want.

9. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    The price sounds high to me too. If you have the cash, I don't think you could go wrong with the GK1001RB-II. As you add speakers you'll be happy with the headroom, but Dan still has a good point.

Let me know if your thinking about buying another one, I know someone who might be thinning his inventory a bit. ;)

10. I don't have any money at all, the store has a "12 months no payment no interest no hidden fees" deal and I used to work there, so since I'm planning on working all summer I'm getting whatever I want, no more upgrading. The price I'm paying would be equivalent of 482.043 USD plus tax, is that still too much?

11. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Todd,

I recieved a quote from Rik's Music for a GK112Neo cab for just under $400usd.

Click HERE for their website.

:D

Joe.

12. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Right, RIKS music sold me mine for $380 Shipped.

13. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Would a 112 neo and 115 neo together be able to handle a 1001RB-II safely?

14. the 1001 does 700 watts at 4 ohms and the the 112 and 115 are rated at 300 watts each for a total of 600 watts handling. Officially, I would still recomend the 700RB in that situation. But I use the 1001 with the Neo 112 and Neo 115 myself and haven't had any problems.

15. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    So you'd recomend what for a 1001RB-II, a pair of 212s?

PS, when is the 210SBXII going to be out?

16. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Of course.

But there are pro's and con's to having less power, the same power and more power than your speaker can handle.

My rack will put 1200w into 8 ohms (2400w into 4ohms) and I have used it to power a 200w cab many times.

Always get all the power you can afford. You can always turn down.

Learn to use your equipment, not abuse it.

There is no 'safe'. Pooh pooh happens.

:D

Joe.

17. The 212 by itself or a pair of 212's works great with the 1001RB. GK generally recommends that you go with a speaker cabinet that is rated about the same or higher than your amplifier.

The 210SBX-II and the 410SBX Plus will be available around late July.

18. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Cool, maybe I'll finally have sold my house by then...

Then its amp time!

19. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I've gigged twice with my 700RB-II and Neo112, and it's a great combination. At my last gig, I used a touch of compression to tame the peaks, and got enough volume for a hard rock show in a medium/small club (with some PA support BTW). The tone was rock solid and clear. I'd love to have a second one, or maybe even a Neo212.

It's an efficient cab, so if you don't need high volume, even a 400RB (is it now IV?) should be fine. You won't be able to use the bi-amp system, which is worthwhile, but the tone will be excellent.

If the cab seems a little "brittle" sounding at first, don't worry; it breaks in quickly and gets very smooth.

20. Good I like smooth, I think I'll be going with the 700 and later on adding a second gk112