1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I just ordered a Phil Jones Briefcase

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by D.Don, Sep 23, 2008.

1. I don't play in a band, and I get really bothered by noise (I am a studio/hi-fi sound quality dude). I have been sick of the noise in my Ashdown perfect ten combo since the day I got it (bought it on mail order as a first amp without testing). Tested the PJBC in a store some weeks ago, and it's dead quiet and really sounds great, so finally I got myself a good deal on one.

Been reading here about some lot of dude thinks it's not playin loud enough, and that the SPL feels "crap" etc. but that is really not what I am out for, I need a small (compact living) quiet (as in low noise level) and well sounding musical amp for practice and home jammin.

Now it's waiting time ...

:)

D.Don

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Waiting time, indeed. Waiting for the fun to begin. May I be the first to say, "IBTL"?

3. Oh, is the phil jones briefcase such a hot topic?

D.Don

4. bassninja7

bassninja7

Mar 1, 2008
    Napoleon, OH
    http://www.myspace.com/publicface
    ibtl

what does that mean?

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    In Before The Lock. Munji thinks the flaming will commence, followed by a mod locking the thread.

I don't think that's what will happen though.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    There's always room for optimism. I played through one at the NYC GTG and was somewhat underwhelmed. It had nice tone to a point but hey, it's two 5-inch speakers. Volume is not its thing. Neither is bottom.

7. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Just don't start PMing, and this thread should be okay.

8. The distributor still haven't got it in stock (and est. to 3-4 weeks..) so I changed for a flightcase today, not that huge price diff, and I get LOTS more amp for the dough.

http://www.philjonesbass.com/products-combos-flightcase.htm

Now it's still waiting time, though at least they have this one in stock!

D.Don

9. looks interesting. according to their website, those tiny little speakers have better LF response and a 15". can anyone attest to this, because the physical properties of a speaker cone, as far as ive been taught, say thats impossible.

10. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal

To my ears (no oscilloscope) the 9B I had was the best low freq reproducer I've heard, but it needed 800 watts to bloom and weighed 75 lbs. Great tone indeed, but that was 9 li'l drivers in a big box. The suitcase also had great lows, but not enough volume for me. -Never heard the tiny li'l siblings.

11. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Though unfortunately I haven't had a real gig test for these speakers, so grain of salt added, my pair of PJB 4B extensions, used not as extensions, has very impressive low end output for me. Not 'impressive for 5" speakers' low end, but 'impressive for the small size of the box' low end.

Since were talking about the low end reproduction of the PJB speaks, however, there is a small caveat. The low end of these speaks, IME, IMO, seems different from more conventional designs. There is a noticable lack of 'boominess' in the lower register. The more I hear them, the more that response seems like a high quality set of 'phones. You're hearing great low end reproduction, but aren't really feeling your kneecaps vibrate, IYKWIM. I'm rather liking this characteristic and have a feeling these will monitor well on stage. Note that I'm not using these for 'big rock gigs'. YMMV.

12. i plugged a p-bass into a briefcase and was very impressed. i thought it sounded great, and that was in a sam ash with a MIM. it's on my GAS list. perfect for practicing at home and small song-writing jam sessions.

13. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Phil Jones makes the best amps and cabs out there and it's owner is such a gentleman... Go for it...

14. so i wont shake the room with my low B, but ill hear it more pronounced? well sign me up! it takes some good EQ to keep my low strings clean. id still like to shake the room, but having one cab to keep it clean is on my agenda as well.

15. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    Gard has one of the older Blue Briefcases at Roscoe Guitars. I was impressed and thinking about getting one for acoustic coffee house gigs where there is no pa and or no access to electricity since they will run on a battery.

One of these would be perfect for use in the house for practicing. My wife is pretty tolerant of my music gear and I know she would prefer one of these in the living room compared to a UL210/WTX260. I have that in the living room, I have a Bassman 60 in our bedroom and I have my Epifani/Stewart 1.6 in the spare bedroom. :D

16. Robin UK

Robin UK

Feb 1, 2007
    I have a M-500, 6T and 9B as my main rig. I love the detail and clarity of the set-up. Ocassionally i miss the warmth of previous set-ups with some of my bass guitars, but most of the time i love the full range pure tone amplification. I agree these cabs are never going to shake the stage like a 15, and am tempted to get a 15 for use with reggae type gigs, but any other situation and the sound is so much more desireable to me in a performance situation, the bass is clear and present without muddying the overall sound and fudging in with the kick, whilst at the same time having more depth of B string tone than any other cabs i've tried.

Often in medium sized gigs when PA is provided the sound guys opts to barely put me in the mix because the sound is so clear straight from the amp without blurring out everyone elses stage volume, however for larger venues obivously the PA is needed, although often i'm kept in the Subs.

Overall i love this gear, i too was headed for the briecase, but then fell in lvoe with the sound qualitty and didn't want to 'downgrade' between the living room adn the stage.

Heavy as sin though.

17. Finally!

Got word they'll ship the Flightcase 150 next week!!

Now it's really the worst part of the waiting time, and I can hardly wait until I get the tracking number...

D.Don

18. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I picked up a briefcase used on TB here. I messed with them in the store and always wanted one. Was also impressed with the sounds it can get.

I didn't notice though until I got one home and played with it a bit, that the compressor is seriously lacking in transparency. It sort of pops and breathes when front loaded with a fair amount of low end and aggressive fingering, even at minimal settings. Not that I ever expect much from onboard single knob compressors, but this was beyond dissapointing for such highly acclaimed (and priced?) products.

19. pbass62

pbass62

Sep 24, 2007
    Concord NC
    I owned a briefcase. It had one of the best preamp/DI I had ever used. Very well made for its purpose IMO

20. Gah!

They ship it tomorrow, and now I am almost climbing the walls here...

D.Don