1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

i just ordered an audere onboard pre-amp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Soma666, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Soma666

Soma666

Aug 27, 2006
    ....yes, its true :):bassist:

2. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Taichung, Taiwan
    I swaped the Bart pre in my Ibanez 1205 Elite for an Audere last week... interesting pre...

3. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I just ordered one too. :) Maybe it will arrive today...I'm psyched to get this into my American Deluxe jazz. Soon it will be a turbocharged jazz! :D

4. Jaycephas

Jaycephas Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Waxhaw, NC
    I just dropped one of these into my Lakland DJ5. This is the best preamp I've ever played (vs. Sans Amp, Sadowsky, Alleva-Coppolla). The preamp is a no-brainer installation and the unit is dead quiet at full volume. David Meadows at Audere is great to work with if you have any questions.

The Z-switch is incredible. You are gonna love it! My DJ5 now has several sounds to choose from and I can quickly find the right sound in the mix with a simple flip of the Z-switch and a minor adjustment to the eq.

Good luck!!

5. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Did you have any problems with the control plate? I though the Lakland DJ series has a slightly bent control plate.

Thanks!

6. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I just dropped one in a Fender V w/Nordie singles. Great pre!!!

7. drgregn

drgregn Granddude Supporting Member

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    yeah - I want to do this too but the Audere plate doesn't line up well. How did you do it? Just rout the cavity out a little?

8. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Yes, it does. Audere also has the 3zb model, which doesn't have a control plate involved. I'd reckon that's how he did it...

9. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Just have to drill for the z-switch and the battery indicator.

10. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Great feedback everyone. Mine did not show up today, so it will be next week. Jaycephas, good to hear your DJ5 (cool bass)! install is hitting the mark. Jmain, how do you like the Nordies? I can't wait! :hyper:

11. drgregn

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    did you shield the cavity? If so, how?

thanks for the info, Greg

12. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I don't have a DJ, just picked up the info from others.

As far as shielding, I can't say it any better than this.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159191

Only thing I'll add is that if you use copper tape with conductive adhesive backing, you probably won't have to spot solder.

One thing I forgot to do was connect the bridge cavity to the control cavity via a wire soldered to each.

Having said all that, the Aeros that are stock in the DJ are single coils. They're gonna have a little hum if they're not both dimed.

13. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Was wondering if he used the stock plate from the DJ5 and maybe the pots on the board from the Audere lined up.

14. drgregn

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    sounds that way - appreciate the info, guys.

15. Jaycephas

Feb 3, 2003
    Waxhaw, NC
    I worked with David Meadows at Audere to "beta" test the fit for my DJ5. He made a modification to the preamp, I bought an extra control plate from Dan Lakin, and, other than drilling a 1/4" hole for the Z-switch and a 3mm hole for the battery indicator light, the installation was easy as pie.

As far as shielding, I haven't yet. I may choose to do so at a later date, but the unit is dead quiet so far. I can't recommend this pre-amp enough. The quality of construction, the professional packaging, and David emailing me to check on things made this a great experience.

Oh yea, and the preamp absolutely makes this bass with the Aero pickups a freakin' tone machine. I practiced with my band today and my guitar player said that my sound was "punchy" with lots of clear, solid low end...the z-switch gives me a lot of versatility in the mix, and the eq is excellent, especially the mid boost/cut.

16. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    That's cool!! It was your post in another thread that I read and was referring to earlier. That sounds like a really nice fit with the Aeros.

Is David going to offer his pre mounted to 'DJ' plates in the future?

17. Jaycephas

Feb 3, 2003
    Waxhaw, NC
    I expect so. Just email him and tell him you need the preamp for a DJ and want it mounted on the Lakland control plate. I'm guessing it will cost about $20 more as Dan Lakin sells the control plates for that.

Or you could save the $20 bucks and drill out the holes for the Z-switch and battery indicator if you're handy with a drill press.

18. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I just ordered one as well. My J-Retro is having "issues", I'm likely going to have to send it back to John for some "retraining". :D

19. Jaycephas

Feb 3, 2003
    Waxhaw, NC
    I wish the J-Retros weren't so darned expensive (curse you exchange rate!) cause I hear they are very nice and I would have considered one more seriously.

I can say that the Audere is a great piece of equipment. I gigged with it at church today and was able to dial in a great fingerstyle sound and quickly get a thick slap sound.

20. I ordered 1 a few months ago, I'm very satisfied with it. Man.....talk about lightning fast shipping!