1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I just ordered my DP Custom...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Professor X, Sep 23, 2002.

1. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    congrats, professor.

dave is currently building my bass right now, also.

dave is a great guy to deal with. i just can't wait till my bass is in my hands:D

2. I think I may have said it in my review, but most of the pictures I take actually make it look bad :confused: when you see it in real life, it is a beauty :)

I don't know how round you would want the edges, but mine are not sharp by any means. the fret work is flawless, not one high fret or sharp edge in the bunch! Dave is pretty accommodating, he'll pretty much make what you want.

DigMe,
    yeah, I fell in love with the zebrawood the first time I saw it. Spalted stuff is cool, but everyone's gettin' 'em these days.

Prof-X,
    as far as neck laminates, you may want to at least tell Dave about your climate and what not, so he can set you up with a good stable neck if you need it. I went with the 5 piece maple/walnut for stabillity because of the wacky weather here in Michigan.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Eh? Everyone's getting spalt? Is that what Dave said? In general I see very few spalt basses. Burl, Walnut and quilted/flamed maple seem to be the most popular custom choices just from what I've seen. If Dave is making a lot of spalt basses then he needs to put them in his gallery because there aren't even any shown on there now.

brad cook

4. I'm not talking about just from DP custom, but from a lot of manufactures.
    just wait, a lot of the spalt basses from DP are not done yet. he'll get 'em in there when he finishes, or maybe not. mines not in his gallery. I don't know what standards the bass has to meet to make his gallery, maybe he didn't have a good enough pic of mine.
    maybe I'm just not into the spalts and the burls. but it seems like they're all the rage right now.

5. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Yup, he's been busy completing my bass ;)

6. BillSC

BillSC Guest

May 30, 2002
    Columbia, SC
    WOW, Brooks. that is a beauty. When do you get it??

7. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
  8. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    HOLY WOW!!! That is gorgeous Brooks. Glad to hear you're finally getting your bass; can't wait to hear the review.

Congrats everyone.

Alex<--secretly wishing everyone would just cancel there orders so Dave could build mine:D I KID, I KID

9. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    someone say spalted? :D

10. BillSC

BillSC Guest

May 30, 2002
    Columbia, SC
    Prague...how do you like it, now that you have had it a while?

11. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    actually I havent got it yet :D
    but I will be getting it today, it's ony a couple miles away right now :D
    I will give a detailed review once I get it.

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm not into burls either and to tell you the truth, the spalt on prague's bass isn't really my cup of tea either (sorry, Praque! It looks good, just not my thing).

Here's a pic of a spalt that I really like. Someone here on TB was trying to sell this bass and I had to save the pic cause I really dig it. This is the kind of spalt I like...with some very distinctive random kind of lines through...I like this more than the knotty, swirled kind of look. See attachment to find out what I consider "nice spalting."
    (I think JRBrown was originally selling this bass but I may be wrong)

brad cook

I