Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just ordered my new amp setup.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Woo hoo! I just ordered my new amp setup which consists of:

SWR Working Man's 4004 Head
    Tech21 Sansamp RBI Rackmount
    BagEnd Q10BX-D

Most of it should be here by next week.

Any comments/concerns about my new setup?

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Yeah, pretty nice rig for a 15 year old kid. Take care of it and enjoy. Oh by the way, finish your homework and pick up your socks.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    *Goes back to doing homework*

I'm not a youngin'!

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    suggestion to see which sound you like better. try plugging your guitar into the RBI, the out of the RBI (sansamp out) into the return onthe head.

or plug your guitar into the SWR and the RBI through the loop of the head.

I have a SWR Bass 350 and an RBI and I prefere option 1 above in a band situation.

also I made a mistake early on of running the "blend" on the RBI too far over towards 5 o'clock. I've now settled back on about 1-2 o'clock to get a good blend of guitar pickups and 'sansamp' tone.

5. thrasher717

thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota
    Why get the SWR head? The RBI is a great preamp. You could have gotten a much more powerful poweramp for the same price as the SWR.

6. But don't practice. Individual Practice is the Worst think for musicianship. Just turn up all the way and bang away at gigs.

7. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Your joking right? Practice makes perfect, dont you know.

Same question.

:)

8. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    are you talking to me or AAA?? I kinda like and kinda hate my 350, but I'm thinking of keeping it around because it can go down to 2ohms?!?!?!

9. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I realize I should have gotten a poweramp :p.. Whoops. I don't feel like returning the SWR because I kind of like it. It has a 5 band EQ which really helps me to mold the RBI tone to what I need it to be. Though I do realize I could have gotten an EQ rack with a power amp :p.. My mistake :p.

10. thrasher717

thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota
    I'm not knocking the SWR -- I have a Workingman's 15 Combo and I love it, for practice and small gigs. I use a Sansamp BDDI with it and it sounds great. I just had the impression you were putting together a preamp/poweramp setup and thought you could get more for your money with a poweramp rather than a head. However, the SWR is a good amplifier -- don't lament its purchase.