I just paid $160 for some DiMarzios!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PanteraFan, May 21, 2002.

1. After much shopping around, the best deal I could find on the DP126 pups was from Bass Centre Manchester. £110 including shipping. That's $160 US. The US retail is $140, and these pickups can be had for $90 from Musicians Friend. Funny thing is, the guy at Bass Centre (who is a friend of mine) argued the distributor down from £120. He's only making £6 profit on this!

These pups had better be worth it!

Any other Europeans getting really pissed off at the extravagant cost of gear over here?

2. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    :( sorry to hear about that P/F.

Did ya' try this place? - http://www.rana.demon.co.uk/velvet/pickups.htm

They don't list the DP126 set per se ("Many other DiMarzio products not
    listed here are available - please enquire.")

Based on what they're askin' for a DP122 Model P (£54), I'd guess they
    would want about £81 for the DP126.
  3. Well, I have yet to go into the store and pay him the money so he will order them there and then. If that site can get me a better price (just emailed them, asked them to beat £110) then I'll buy from there.

Thanks for the heads up notduane!
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's all relative. Here in the US we have to pay a premium for any UK or Euro gear.
  5. jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I have folks ordering pickups off my website from all over the world. It is cheaper for them to pay the freight and import duty than buy local. Like Brian said though, it works both ways. It' just that there is a lot of stuff here to choose from so it's not as necessary to shop abroad.

You's guys in Europe don't have it as bad as a lot of places though. I think the worst I have seen so far is South America. Something like 40% duty fees and availability of stuff is pretty poor.
  6. Just got an email back from rana, saying that they can get me em for £93 inc. shipping and VAT. He also said that if the supplier does not have them in stock I could be looking at a 4-5 week wait. I asked him to check if they're in stock. If so, I'm sending the cheque monday morning :D.
  7. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    cool beans! Hope that supplier has `em.

£93 ain't what I figured :rolleyes:, but then again it ain't £110.

That's like uhhh...*carries the two* :D...~$24USD difference.

Ooooh! Enough for a nice set o' strings! :p.
  8. That's exactly what I'm thinking - my old Rotosound steels I got back in October are going dead on me, so some DR's are next on my list. After I install the new pups I'll put the DR's on, and I probably won't recognize the sound of my bass at all :D.

What I'll do when I get the pickups is record my bass with old strings + pickups, then record with DR's and new pups just to show you guys what's possible. I've never actually tried DR's before, but from what I've heard on recordings and in reviews, I'm gonna be KILLING my guitarists with punch, especially when coupled with the DP126's.