Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just played my first fretless...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ScottE, Jul 25, 2000.

1. ScottE

ScottE

Jun 2, 2000
    And I love it! It's a Yamaha rbx260f. It's quite a coincidence this happened to day, because this bass was mentioned twice already in the Yamaha thread. It's very light, especially compared to my peavey. But I really liked it and I could see it becoming my main bass. I had to put it on layaway, though, because I don't have the cash to just buy it outright.

2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Play some more before you buy the first one you tried. Good advice in ANY situation, but imho fretlesses have way more "nuance" and feel diferences than their fretted sisters, and you might find something nearby which you like considerably more.

To really get the feel of a fretless bass's potential, ask the salesgeek to lower the action and straighten the neck bow intil it's *almost* straight. You're looking for it to "growl" at you UNPLUGGED, even on the low strings up high on the neck. NOW plug it in and compare.

------------------
    * eli@ilovefretless.com*

3. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Eli, great advise about the setup.

Scott lets talk lay-a-way. Don't do this! Lay YOUR money away in a savings account or anything that pays YOU intrest on YOUR money.

Anything could happen, you could change your mind, take up bowling, whatever. Cash is power and markup is usally 50%. Never pay retail.

I like to bowl now and again.

4. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i played a fretless jazz last weekend at MARS. I just grabbed a jazz of their wall and didn't realize it was fretless till i plugged in and started playing. damn it felt good.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VicDamone:
    Eli, great advise about the setup.

Scott lets talk lay-a-way. Don't do this! Lay YOUR money away in a savings account or anything that pays YOU intrest on YOUR money.

Anything could happen, you could change your mind, take up bowling, whatever. Cash is power and markup is usally 50%. Never pay retail.

I like to bowl now and again.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While I agree with not paying retail, I would not agree that you cannot get a good deal on layaways.

Being somebody without good credit, and not having $1500, I had to put a Pedulla Rapture J2 5 string bass in layaway. This bass lists for $1995.00, I got it for $1299.00, and the day I paid it out I talked the store manager down another $130.00.

So, I put an expensive bass in layaway, and got it for 42% off of list price.

I would guess that Guitar Center only made $100 - $150 on a bass that most people pay $1399 - $1499 for, so layaway will NOT keep you from getting a good deal, it just takes convincing the store manager that you are serious about your purchase, and that you are serious about walking out if they will not meet what you're willing to pay..

------------------
    check out my basses on my gear page! http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/robson/1174/music/gear.html

the fabric of reality is woven from the threads of our dreams...
    bill longshort

6. ScottE

ScottE

Jun 2, 2000
    As far as playing others. There aren't too many fretlesses in my price range, so I'm fairly limited as far as that. As far as setup. The action was just right straight out of the box, if you can believe it. As far as retail, the salesman at this store knocks 20% off the MSRP, but I'm sure you think that's still too much.
    Man, the last thing I expected here was people telling me not to do this. Odd.

7. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by embellisher:
    While I agree with not paying retail, I would not agree that you cannot get a good deal on layaways.

Being somebody without good credit, and not having $1500, I had to put a Pedulla Rapture J2 5 string bass in layaway. This bass lists for $1995.00, I got it for $1299.00, and the day I paid it out I talked the store manager down another $130.00.

So, I put an expensive bass in layaway, and got it for 42% off of list price.

I would guess that Guitar Center only made $100 - $150 on a bass that most people pay $1399 - $1499 for, so layaway will NOT keep you from getting a good deal, it just takes convincing the store manager that you are serious about your purchase, and that you are serious about walking out if they will not meet what you're willing to pay..

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello Embellisher

First off I've got to tell you I really like your forum name.

Second, I don't think I expressed my views regarding financial liquidity very well in my previous post.
    Yes you can get a good deal using a Lay-A-Way plan. You can ALWAYS get a better deal with cash in hand. But if you have trouble saving money I guess its one way of buying somthing.

The main point is why let someone else make the intrest off of your money. Its not alot of money to you but to a company like Guitar Center it adds up very well. Pluse there is a chance you'll default on the aggrement.

The only circumstance in which to Lay-A-Way is if the item is one of a kind, you havn't any cash on hand, and your credit rating is in the toilet.

8. I have an RBX200F which I got on a trade in over 10 years ago. Setup is great--strings are practically touching the fretboard at the pickup end and no buzz! I started out with roundwounds ala Jaco but noticed that the fretboard was starting to show some scratching, so I switched to Thomastik flatwounds--best move I ever made. Talk about great sounding, fast-playing strings!

[This message has been edited by double dad (edited July 27, 2000).]

9. yeah i just played my first fretless ever the other day too. it was a Cort 4 string (i had no idea what model). boy did the neck feel good. if it were a 5 string, maybe it might have been a possible purchase. but im saving up for a new amp no anyway, at least i know i should get a fretless sooner or later.

------------------
    "I'd rather tear things down than build them up it's easier that way" -The Offspring

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VicDamone:
    Hello Embellisher

First off I've got to tell you I really like your forum name.

Second, I don't think I expressed my views regarding financial liquidity very well in my previous post.
    Yes you can get a good deal using a Lay-A-Way plan. You can ALWAYS get a better deal with cash in hand. But if you have trouble saving money I guess its one way of buying somthing.

The main point is why let someone else make the intrest off of your money. Its not alot of money to you but to a company like Guitar Center it adds up very well. Pluse there is a chance you'll default on the aggrement.

The only circumstance in which to Lay-A-Way is if the item is one of a kind, you havn't any cash on hand, and your credit rating is in the toilet.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your circumstances are probably the main reasons people use lay-away [​IMG] Given that, who shouldn't do it?

11. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Scott E --

AAHH! I hope my post didn't sound negative on buying ANY fretless! YES, I think you should get one; just suggesting you be a litle picky about WHICH one.

Heaven forbid anyone should go away with the impression that I'm against fretless.

------------------
    * eli@ilovefretless.com*

12. ScottE

ScottE

Jun 2, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eli:
    Scott E --

AAHH! I hope my post didn't sound negative on buying ANY fretless! YES, I think you should get one; just suggesting you be a litle picky about WHICH one.

Heaven forbid anyone should go away with the impression that I'm against fretless.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, I know that's not what you meant. But my options are quite limited. I don't make a whole lot of money at the moment(still in college). And none of the music stores in my area stock fretlesses. I had to have this one special ordered. I wasn't commited to buying it, but I liked it. I also put a limitation on myself in that I wanted a p-style. Both the basses I already have are j-style, and I wanted the precision sound and the fretless sound all in one.

13. RG

RG

May 11, 2000
    central Illinois
    Hey I know where you're coming from. I too didnt want to spend a lot and the shops in my area gave me little or no choices in fretless. You already have gotten some good advice about playing the bass first but here's what I did. I've always been a Fender guy so I bought a MIM Jazz mail order and I was fully prepared to send it back if I didnt like it. It turns out I did like it. I hope you enjoy fretless as much as I do now. BTW I adjusted the action low only to discover that I play too hard and get a better sound with it a little higher.
    That being said, if you can play the bass before you buy it, by all means do.

------------------
    the secret of life is enjoying the passage of time

14. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Scott E --

Oh good. Well, listen: You GOTTA go fretless, so get what you can. I do not think you'll be disappointed. Tell us when you get it, K?

------------------
    * eli@ilovefretless.com*

15. ScottE

ScottE

Jun 2, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eli:
    Scott E --

Oh good. Well, listen: You GOTTA go fretless, so get what you can. I do not think you'll be disappointed. Tell us when you get it, K?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, I'll definately do that. I suspect this may become my main bass. There's no line I play on fretted that I won't be able to play on fretless. And my lines slide around the neck a lot.

16. bassphreakz

bassphreakz

Mar 19, 2000
    I have this bass and it's great for the price. I bought mine when they just came out and it was $250, but I think they are down to $175 now. Do get roundwounds for it. I played with normal strings for about a year and it stratched the fretboard really bad. The only problem I have had with it is getting the right tone b/c it only has a volume knob and a tone knob. Luckily I have an amp that has compensated for it.

------------------
    "Reality is an excuse for people who can't deal with drugs."

17. gumby7

gumby7

Feb 15, 2000
    hey embellisher,
    im in the irving dallas fort worth region too. i've been to murphys music too. its a great store the people there are alot friendlier than in a guitar center.

------------------
    Sometimes life seems like a dream, especially when I look down and see that I forgot to put on my pants.