Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just played my friends Warwick Thumb bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ozzyman, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Boy does that thing sing. It is probably one of the most comfortable basses I have ever played. and the EQ on it is amazing. The sound is very versatile.
    When playing the fingerboard felt so natural and slapping was a breeze. The growl coming out of his eden amp gave me shivers.
    And I thought I was cool with my new SR905, hehe.
    I know what bass i'll be saving up for.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    gr doesnt help my thumb GAS :(

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Was it BO or NT? I have a NT.. I wubz it.

4. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    I have two NT Thumb 5's, one fretted, one fretless-they are amazing! The sound is so "round" and deep, especially when fitted with .145 "bridge cable" B strings. Can't say enough about the Thumb!

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Where can you get that? And its taperwound, right?
    I have DR LoRiders on my Corvette 6, and even though I could only get the 030-125 set, fitting the B in the bridge was a pain-in-the-a$$. Took me an hour and a half to file jsut enough off of the string to fit it in without causing damage to it...

6. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    It was an NT Thumb 5-string. I used to not like the body design of the thumb bass, but now I'm in love with it.
    I'll never buy a bass without trying it.

7. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    D' Addario XL series includes a 145. Last time I ordered one was off the web-sorry don't remember but if you search for "bass strings"-you'll find a few places that sell single strings.

I also had to modify the string end to fit the bridge. On the plus side, I rarely change strings so it's not a big deal. The string sounds great-lot's of rich tone and sustain-

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Heavy though, aren't they?

9. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.

Not really. I have a Corvette and it is conciderably heavier than a thumb. I don't really know what else to compare it to but I would say that a Thumb is about average weight.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    And isnt the bolt on thumb even lighter. IS ovankgol lighter than Bubinga?

11. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Figjam, I totally agree. Wheat thins rock!!
    If it were up to me holy communion would use wheat thins and mountain dew (I love that stuff too)

12. My Thumb BO 4 is actualy quite heavy, and it's for sale due to the ergonomics not agreeing with me.

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Heavy , sure, but heavy compared to a corvette?

O well.

One man's heavy is another man's not-so-heavy.

14. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    I'm a fairly strong person so I'm not usually affected by the weigh5t of my bass. Actually I have felt that a bass has been too light for me once!

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Have you played it with a strap, standing up, for 2 1/2 hours straight? Those basses look sweet, and sound pretty darned good, but the ergonomics suck! They are very neck heavy, and due to the small body and the way the bass hangs, it is a very long reach to the first position.

16. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    The reach isn't long at all, but I agree about the neckheaviness. I want to get some ultralites... Soon.. very soon.

17. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Yeah. I think that my bolt on Thumb is pretty light compared to my corvette.

Ovankgol is conciderably lighter than Bubinga, at least in my opinion.

18. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I like the way warwick thumbs sound but I would never call them comfortable.

19. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  20. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA