Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just played the coolest bass I've ever had my hands on.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Philbiker, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Yesterday I went to my cousin's house to check out his collection of instruments and jam out just a tiny little bit and he let me play his bass......

A 1964 Fender Jazz Bass. All original except a Badass bridge (original bridge and all hardware/ashtrays in the case).

:eek: Wow. :eek:

I didn't even know what to play on it I was so overwhelmed. I wish I had my '67 Blackface amp to play it with. - speaking of which, talking to him (he has a LOT of vintage instruments) I decided that I really do need to get an amp for my new gigging band. I can not use my '67 Bassman as my everyday bass rig any more despite the fact that it renders The Holy Grail™ of bass tone.

As far as I'm concerned this is orders of magnitude cooler than anything I've ever laid my hands on, and I've had Brad Johnosn over to my house for a GTG so that's really saying something! :) The sound was amazing, the pickups and my fingers aligned to make some nice music. Sounded kind of like my '97 passive USA jazz actually..... But a little better. :help:

2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Very cool, the L-series Fender basses are IMO the holy grail of electric basses. I have a friend who sometimes brings his 1964 L-series Precision to our gigs for me to play -and to drool on. :cool:

3. xxajr8xx

xxajr8xx

Aug 31, 2005
    westbrook,CT
    all i have to say is NICE :D :D

4. John Coxtosen

John Coxtosen Music Geek/Bass Nerd

May 25, 2005
    Duluth, MN
    When you go amp shopping, see if you can find an Alembic preamp to try out. If you like the sound of your old Bassman, you might like it.