Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just purchased a yamaha trb5-II..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeffrey A-Bomb, Dec 20, 2000.

1. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I sold my toby-pro 4 (the electronics pissed me off too much.. heh) and got myself a great deal on a used yamaha trb5-II.. It looks brand new, sounds great, and is my first 5 string.. wohoo.. It's very beefy tone wise, has a nice chunky neck, feels sturdy and I absolutely dig it :) It's nice to have a 35" scale to.. Anybody else have one and enjoy it as much as I do?

2. Yep. The TRB5II rules. I'm still learning to slap on it, but for finger work, it kills.

The sustain on it is unbelievable !!!

Later.

3. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    As I'm sure you'll discover, the TRBII's aren't thought of real highly around here. HOWEVER, I love my TRB5II! I like the wider string space which makes it possible for me to slap if I choose. The electronics give me a lot of tonal variety, and there hasn't been anything that I haven't been able to dial in. Balance is nice, and the workmanship on mine is top notch. Guess you can tell I like it. I play mainly four strings, but I wanted a fiver in the stable and sold my Dean Edge 5 to get this badboy. Mine's transparent blue; what's yours? Mine still has the Yamaha strings on it (I bought it new), and they're not too bad. If you don't mind my asking, what'd you pay?

4. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I bought it "used" for $439 at guitar center.. It has no scratches whatsoever and actually looks new, so it's a damn good deal =] It's so much better then my old toby pro bass and I love it's thick tone.. I'm not exactly sure what color it is.. It's very nice looking with the gold hardware though and it's a mix between a magenta'ish and rust type color w/ a slight burst.. For less than $500, I think this is probably the best bass I could've purchased.

5. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    Dude, you got a helluva deal. Geez, a good deal at GC; who'd a thunk. Actually, it only comes in three colors that I know of; blue, magenta, and amber. All three look good imho.