Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just received a Filakovsky PJ 4 for review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jun 30, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Hello Friends

This afternoon Talk Bass Luthier John Filakovsky droped off one of this bass http://filakovsky.com/_wsn/page3.html with me to do an in depth review of his PJ 4 model. This is the first bass i have had an opertunity to play with a Macassar Ebony neck. My first observation is this neck great enhances the brightness and edge of the instrument not to mention how fast it plays with no need for oil or laqour finish do to the grain of the wood.I will give a complete review after 1 practice and 1 live performance with it this weekend.Stay tuned.

2. one thing is for sure. the bass is unbearably sexy!!! cant wait to hear a review

3. MAJOR METAL

I'll tell her that tonight. :D

4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Beautiful bass dude, I do imagine that ebony for the entire neck will create a pretty bright instrument. Any luthiers here know anything about the stability of ebony as a neck wood? I don't recall ever seeing that before.

5. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    Beautiful, and I am a P/J 4 guy, so that thing definitely looks good to me. Curious to hear your thoughts on how it plays and sounds.

Also, I think someone mentioned. I have heard Ebony isn't very stable, so I wonder about it as a neck wood. Of course, I am not a luthier by any stretch of the imagination.

6. I NEED a P/j bass!!!

NICE!!!

7. MAJOR METAL

8. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Thanksfor the sexy comments. Thats more than I could say for me (unless you're female.......( rrrrggghhhhoooowww) :D

9. MAJOR METAL

My bandmates were impressed with it as I last night at practice more details to come.

10. Very nice, John. ;)

I am impressed. :bassist:

Mike :cool:

11. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Very pretty bass!!!

Looking forward to hearing more about the neck.

Marshall

12. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Wow, that thing is hot.

13. MAJOR METAL

Review comming soon. :bassist: