I just received my SpectraComp. Love it!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bdplaid, Aug 4, 2016.

1. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    florida
    I just received my SpectraComp. Love it! And I'm usually not a fan of compressors, and usually don't use one.
    What's different about this one is that, being 3-way multiband, it is a tone enhancer. With the editor, one can get inside the settings and tweak till the cows come home, go out, and come back again.
    There are 2 things I like most about it: 1) it is a one-knob comp. Does everything with one turn. And the default setting is really good, if a good bit hot.
    B), Because it's 3-way multiband, and there are so many settings, one can also use this as a tone-tweaker. I'm always fighting the tweeter in my cabs and if I lower the x-over of the high range to like 4K, I can totally squash out the entire upper range. Same with the low end to tighten things up. Makes it something of a bandpass filter.
    This is a killer pedal. $99. Incredible.

2. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    You're not helping haha. I was really curious about this lil guy when it hit. I'm not a big comp guy but what you're describing is sorta right up my alley. I like the sound of that. Good to know, thanks!

vivaknoxvegas likes this.
  3. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    florida
    me either - not a comp guy. but this one I like.

4. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!" Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yup. Got one. +1

5. veryvery

veryvery

May 23, 2016
    CA
    +1

6. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    I'm loving mine! I use the "Smooth and Funky" preset. It kind of gives the sound that Stanley Clarke/Marcus Miller "Hard Plucked" sound with out hard plucking. The tone I'm kind of going for now is like a Death Metal kick drum in the low end and a jazz guitar in the highs and this seem to do the job perfectly.

C/S,
    Rev J

hintz likes this.
  7. Got one this week. Loving it so far.

8. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    +1

The price makes it even easier

bdplaid likes this.
  9. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    Hmmm, this sounds interesting!!

10. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    digital compressor pedals are getting better :thumbsup:

11. TimboZ

TimboZ

Jan 4, 2009
    South of Buffalo
    I'm also digging the Sandberg California VM4 that Ida is playing in the demo video.

Jeff O'Connor likes this.
  12. triviani

triviani

Oct 23, 2010
    Is it a good limiter as well? I want a transparent limiter at the end of the chain.

13. Thanks bdplaid, I've been waiting on someone I trust instead of a YouTube video to really tell me about a one knob compressor, and I had my doubts but for $99, its worth a shot.

14. chumbo73

chumbo73

Nov 8, 2012
    Looks really good, whenever I want to buy a compressor I think this one will be.

Do you think using it with an active MM STINGRAY will have some noise issues?

15. I have a TC combo and I love the "Dirt'n'Comp" setting.
    I'm not sure if that's one you can load on the pedal, but if so, it's worth a shot.

16. My favourite toneprint is ToneBooster with knob at between 9 and 11

vivaknoxvegas likes this.
  17. veryvery

veryvery

May 23, 2016
    CA
    Coincidentially that's more-or-less what I've been using thus far: ToneBooster with the knob around 11. But I haven't had it for very long either and haven't had a chance to try the editor yet.

18. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    I purchased one of these a little while ago after seeing the ad from NAMM. So far, I am very impressed. So much so, in fact, it is pretty much permanently in my signal chain for my online session recording rig! I still haven't experimented with any of the TonePrints, though. I'm sure once I get into that whole thing, it will be even more impressive.

19. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Just got one of these suckas and am digging it. Have only been able to try it through headphones, but I like what some of these toneprints do for my p bass....

20. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Man I REALLY want to try this comp!!!