I just saw a list of the side effects of Prozac.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gabu, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Hi guys, I just saw this and it scared the heck out of me. This is what our schools are pushing (with emphesis on pushing) on our children. I organized it into somewhat of a poem, for your reading pleasure.

Wonder-Drug? by Gabriel Brooks

slowed action of other drugs, leading to too much medication
    severe withdrawal symptoms, increased effect of Valium
    anxiety, agitation, irritability, and nervousness
    hyperactivity, restlessness, shaking, and sleeplessness

headache, lightheadedness, dizziness, and bad dreams
    loss of strength, dry mouth, sweating, and fatigue
    weight loss, nausea, vomiting, and fever
    itching, chills, serious rashes, and hangover

lack of muscle control, and twitching epilepsy
    psychotic symptoms, confusion, and hostility
    muscle, back, and joint pain, arthritis
    upset stomach, mania, paranoia, and hallucinations

ear, eye, jaw, neck, and pelvic pain effect
    tremor, rigid muscles, and forgetfulness
    constipation, urinary problems, and infection
    blurred eyesight, low blood pressure, and heart problems

fainting, dizziness, liver problems, and bronchitis
    violent behaviour, sexual problems, and impotence
    breast pain, delirium, coma, and extreme mental excitement
    rapid changes in normal body activities and convulsions

lung, kidney, liver, and heart disease, hysteria,
    abortion, swollen breasts (male and female), glaucoma
    bloating, ulcers, and painful menstruation, and bad breath
    extreme shock, deafness, loss of taste, and death
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Is Long Beach far from Tijuana??? Can you get us some??? :D

I love the drug ads on TV - "You don't know what the hell it is. Ask your doctor if it's right for you!"
  3. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Just about 120 miles from TJ. :) I could, but I wouldn't wanna do that to ya. ;)

I have been watching all of those ads you are describing and it's so amazing. How in the world can these things be FDA approved with a list of side effects so long, it must be worse than the ailment?

The standup comedians are teasing them now too. I saw one guy talking about going to the doctor to ask for his headache back because he was tired of bleeding from the anus.
  4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, have a mild headache? take this pill, may cause stomach bleeding, cancer, death, impotence, hair loss, switches your gender, and kills your mother-in-law, but no more headache!
  5. This is a subject with which I am rather intimate; throughout the last 10 years or so, i've had numerous school counselors (and, of course, the doctors they've referred me to) push psychiatric drugs on me. I've been on Prozac, Zoloft, Trazodone, Epival, and Celexa.

On Prozac, I rarely slept at all. Zoloft made me manic, which they counteracted with the Trazodone, which made me sleep constantly.

One of the side effects of Trazodone is - get this - prolonged and painful erections that can be permanent and damaging if surgery is not performed!!! Luckily, I did not run into this particular side effect.

With Epival and Celexa, I slept a lot, and felt really hazy and out of it.

Each time they've put me on something, I've tried it for a while (my father is very pro-drugging, and puts major pressure on me to take pills) and taken myself off once I get sick of the side effects.

I have been depressed at points in my life, but it's not biological - it's my family situation, which I don't feel the need to get into here at the moment.

As a happy ending, I'm seeing a great PSYCHOLOGIST (no drugs!) now, which is finally helping me to work through all my repressed anger rather than just throw pills at the problem, like psychiatrists do. Too bad it took 10 years for my father to let me see a psychologist, not a psychiatrist.

6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    what's the difference between psychology and psychiatry?

i always assumed that psychology was the general study of the workings of the mind and that psychiatry was the application of that knowledge to help people.

apparently, this isn't so.
  7. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    Its all The Man. Just trying to give us crap to make us even sicker than we already are. Then we're forced to go BACK to the doctor, pay him another 80 bucks to tell us that we're expieriencing side effects of the medicen he put us on and made us pay for. Lemme give you something else that wont work either.
  8. rickbass

Jeff - Are you sure that's not my hair stylist, Elise???
  9. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I abhor these ads.

The doctors are the ones with the educations. The should be telling us what drugs we need, IF we need them. These pharmaceutical companies are putting money into the hospitals, restricting the choices of doctors, (especially for generic alternatives). The doctors become more and more powerless to prescribe what they feel they should prescribe because people now feel "empowered" to ask for a specific drug, (whose side effects outnumber the syptoms it's treating). Corporate influence in our health care system is troubling.

What say you doctors? Mike?
  10. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    Amen to that. When my mom and uncle were both battling cancer, the insurance companys (I know i'm getting a little off subject here but w/e ) were total jerks. They wouldnt let the doctors do certain neccesary procedures and surgerys. all because those rich scums didnt want to shell out some cash that they would get right back anyway. grr....
  11. rickbass

Being a former clinical psych major, I can tell you the basic difference is;

Psychiatrists are MD's (have gone through Med school), can prescribe medication or refer patients to surgery because they deal with physiological causes of mental problems

Psychologists deal with emotional issues, cannot prescribe medication, and deal more in the consultative therapy realm. At it's lowest form, Madame Cleo and her tarot cards is a "psychologist. You and I can legally, in many places, be listed in the Yellow Pages as
    "psychologists." That doesn't infer that they are all snake oil salespersons. Most of them are very reputable or else they couldn't stay in business.

Psychoanalysts are another ball game, too.

Our standing joke in clinical psych school was - "Reality is just an escape for people who can't face drugs." We were being trained to be sluts of the pharmaceutical industry.
  12. sweetpea

sweetpea Guest

Jun 6, 2002
    S'port, LoUiSiAna
    I was taking a medicine called Depakote and the side affects of that... umm lets just say.. that I prayed to God That I wouldn't go crazy every time I popped a pill. You know it made me have muscle twitches... weird stuff... They say its the new wonder drug for migraines.... I would steer clear of it If I were you...
  13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    unfortunately, many doctors have intimate working relationships with the pharmaceutical companies.
  14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Thanks rickbass! I couldn't come up with the words, you made it very clear.
  15. rickbass

You got that right, John! My oldest and best friend is a pharm rep. I'd say 1/4th of his "work" week involves taking doctors to swanky restaurants and taking them to concerts in the best seats while he soft sells the latest products.

Above and beyond that, he lines them up to speak at company meetings where the docs are paid serious money.

Funniest thing about my pharm rep friend is - he sold me my first gram of hashish when I was 17!
  16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    That's why there's no more headache...

I can see how this would be hailed as a wonder-drug.;)
  17. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    So good he said it twice.
  18. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    ya know that kinda scares me a lil bit. I get my health care provided to me by the Veterans Administration. Since the FDA is a governmental agency allowing these drugs on the market, it makes me sometimes wonder if the V.A. is in bed with them as well.
  19. sweetpea

sweetpea Guest

Jun 6, 2002
    S'port, LoUiSiAna
    You must have been in the army...
  20. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    *raises hand* My name's Gia and I was on prozac at 6.
    It just remember it made me really sleepy.
    My dad got me into one of the first trial runs of it for really young kids because he's like an executive person at some kind of thing to do with medicines *i have no clue what my dad does*