Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just saw Mississippi Burning

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Jan 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OK, the KKK guys had those flags on their cars, the ones with the red background, blue saint andrews style cross with white stars in it. I also notice that Dimebag Darrell had one of these on one of his guitars. Can anyone tell me what they are? My dad said something to do with the confederate states?(what ever they may be).

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It was the flag of the confederate (southern) states during the civil war era.

brad cook

3. Well why would the KKK and Dimebag both have the flag on their cars/guitars? Dimebag wasn;t a racist biggot was he? I really hope he wasn't.....

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I doubt it. While some people do find the confederate flag offensive many people in the south still don it without racist intentions...just as a symbol of living in the south or something. I don't recall it really even being controversial until the late eighties or early nineties. I don't think that the original intention of the confederate flag was to signify racism...I think it was just meant to be flag representing the seceded south before we were rejoined with the north at the end of the civil war.

brad cook

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    It's the Confederate battleflag. The Confederate states were the (primarily) slaveholding states that tried seceding from the United States. It was their contention that the Federal legislature had no jurisdiction over anything other than interstate concerns, that the individual states had the right to pass whatever legislation they saw fit. It came to a head when the Federal goverment started making it illegal to own slaves in the new territories and states (Kansas etc.), restrict slavery to only states where it was then currently legal.

You talk to most people and they say the Civil War was about slavery, you talk to particularly recalcitrant Southerners and they say it was about "states rights".

Unfortunately the only right in question was the right to consider another human being property.

6. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    The flag either means "I'm a racist" or "I'm an idiot."

I don't want to speak ill of the dead, but I really don't think DD was a racist.

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    +1

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It's strange, I totally agree with what Lyle said, but a lot of Southern's don't. I know a Black guy who lived in a dorm room with a guy who had a huge HUGE Rebel flag in his room. So, by that I mean they both had a huge HUGE Rebel flag.

But if you break it down, the flag represents the South breaking away from the U.S. so they could own slaves. So yes, it represents racism. But I think a lot of people are trying to change it to just represent Southern Pride. But that will be like trying to win back the Shwastica, it's not happening.

I went to a yardsale in a barn one time and they had the biggest rebel flag I've ever seen, and in the middle was a Charlie Daniels lookin' mo fo with a huge grin and it said, "If the South would have won, we'da had it made." Translated, "If the South would have one, white people wouldn't have to do jack, that's what the N*****s are for." :rollno:

9. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Some facts:

The "confederate flag" was a battle flag used by some divisions of the confederate army. It wasn't the flag of the Confederacy itself or of any of the states that seceded.

It didn't appear on/as state flags until the early 1950s, when it was used as a "states' rights" issue to protest federally imposed desegregation.

You'll hear a lot of people talking about "heritage" and "history" when it comes to the confederate flag. Total apologist BS. It only goes back 50 years, and for the worst reasons imaginable.

Look, I live in Memphis, and I've lived in the south my entire life. You want to be proud of the south and show your pride? Good! Read and quote William Faulkner, Mark Twain, Alice Walker, and the hundreds of world-respected Southern authors. Learn, play, and promote blues, jazz, country, and rock n roll, all of which came out of the south and the southern culture.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Preach brother Lyle!

11. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    As well as good manners and hospitality, even to those you hate. Call it two-faced or call it polite, it's they way it is down there.

Don't forgit sweet tea, fried chicken, chicken fried steak, sausage gravy, greens and other soggy vegetables, grits and bolled peanuts.

Man, I gotta go eat lunch.

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    hey, don't smoke!

13. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Add Flannery O'Connor to the list of authors, she was a southerner, right?

14. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yes, excellent post, Lyle. A concise and sharpened version of a point I've tried to make countless times over the years.

15. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    :D

You're making my wife jealous ;)

thanks bro!

16. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Absolutely, and wonderful.

17. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i agree that southern pride takes on a different meaning , depending on who you talk to .
    i don't know of anyone who is proud that their ancestors owned slaves .
    it is a sad piece of history , which continues even today as standard practice in some countries ...

the " REBEL " flag ... meh , i could care less . display it if you want .
    so long as it's not used to try to intimidate anyone ...
    or , to imply that racial differences should seperate us as a nation .

sorry for the rant ,
    it's jmo , be cool...

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Way up here in the Pacific Northwest, when I see a Confederate flag, I think of racism.

-Mike

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Pretty much. It's not that the two are mutually inclusive, but for some reason, they do coincide quite often.

I backed out of a band that wanted me as a vocalist because they wanted to be named "Confederate Militia" and have the band motif be camo and Ol' Glory. I declined upon hearing this.

Onlyways I don't think about it is on the Dukes of Hazzard. Because, y'know, that show rocked too hard to be racist.

20. I agree. I see 4-5 confederate oriented bumper stickers or flags everyday on the way to or from work and I get the same feeling everytime. Many people seem to be proud of this heritage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.