I just saw the Roots

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nick Gann, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Front row. Against the railing. Ten feet from the stage. Right in front of Hub. Right in front of Hub. That was the best concert I've ever been to. Ever. EVAR!!!

I have a new respect for hip hop. These guys (all 7 of them!!) were so amazingly good. I've never heard hip hop played like that, and it blew my mind. All 7 of them were such great musicians, I still cannot believe it. Hub was insane. He really can tear it up like a mad man, but he really shines when he shows what not to play. That man can groove like no other. Him and ?uestlove were so locked into the pocket, they sounded like one. Their guitarists were awesome. Their lead guitarist had his solo right towards the end and it rocked! The second guitarist was their singer, and he sang so well. I got his signature. These guys are such a great band. I had no idea how good they really are until I saw them live. If anyone ever has the chance to go see the Roots, do not pass it up. These guys take hip hop to a new level!

I need to go take a cold shower, I'm still stoked from the concert! :hyper:
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've seen them about 6 times, and I've always walked away stoked!
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I got free tickets to see 311, and I got there really late, but 311 didn't take stage yet, it turns out the Roots were before them. 311 kinda sucked, but I'm incredibly mad that I missed the Roots.

They are how hip hop should be IMO. Musicians writing music to be rapped over, instead of the same james brown sample over and over.
  4. I have heard some roots stuff, but it's been a while, I'm downloading some now, and I must say, this is definately hip hop I like.

And I have a decent hatered for must rap hip hop. I wish more stuff on the radio was like this, I hate the crap they play on the radio.