Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just scored a G&L SB-1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by justBrian, Sep 10, 2003.

1. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    It's an '84 model, single jazz p'up in the sweet spot, and a pretty red color. I got it for $300-- good deal, eh? Here's a pic.

2. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Well I think it's cool. :cool:

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i like them..my friend has one that was red..but natural now...i can get it for some one for $300 with a case

thanks
    steve

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Cool bass. Good price.

5. I like the color, the price, and I'm a big fan of one pickup basses. ;)

There's nothing like simplicity.

Good luck.

Mike

6. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Astoria, Oregon
    Shouldn't it be a P bass pickup not a jazz? I know mine is single P bass pickup. Leo's design, just the one. Mine's an 83 and am in the process of refinishing it. Great basses.

Dan

7. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I thought so too, but have seen several with the single jazz p'up-- especially the older ones. This one has the lawsuit headstock as well.

8. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Brian, it's actually an early Precision style pickup. The early SB-1's were a little different breed from the second generation that came out in ...'85 I think?

Some of the differences that the early ones featured:

• Maple bodies
    • single, bar jazz shaped P pickup (later went to split P)
    • no pickguard (yeah, the obvious one)

Hope that helps clarify a little.

and Dan, how's the progress coming along?
    -Mike

9. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
  10. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    You're awesome Mike. Mine looks just like the first one. When I get it I'll check the s/n and neck stamp to verify the production date.

11. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Glad I could help, man.

One thing you'll probably want to keep in mind though..

These pickups are hot hot hot. When you plug in for the first time, take it easy and test the waters before risking your preamp. Due to my aggressive playing style, I had to crank my pickup down as far as I could. Just check it to see how hot it's gonna be, then you can go crazy and enjoy Leo's best.

-Mike

12. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Once again, sage advice. Does this p'up have the adjustable pole pieces? If so, did you crank them down and the p'up too? Is it as hot as the L2k? I run that through a compressor to smooth out the signal-- and keep the sound man happy. ;)

13. HooBass

HooBass

May 27, 2003
    NC
    I don't know how rare they are, but that brought back tons of memories of my first bass (bought circa '84). It too was a G&L, red, single PU, black bridge, etc., maple fingerboard. However, I'm nowhere near MO. I seem to remember it had a nick close to the gap between the neck and body.

Was nice then, and whether mine or not, I'm sure that one's nice, too!

14. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    No, pole pieces aren't adjustable. Even with the pickup bottomed out, the SB-1 had a higher output than my ASAT in active/parallel mode... with the ASAT set to series, it came much closer, but I dig the tone in parallel. To compensate, I just started rolling off the volume on the SB-1 a bit.

I promise you that SB-1 will be the thumpinest P you've ever played. Huge bottom.... like Jabba the Hut size.

-Mike

15. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Kick ass! :D

16. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Astoria, Oregon
    The refin is going good. I put about 10 coats of Nitro lacquer on it. I could have done a better job sanding I think, but it was all block sanding and I got impatient. But it looks good and in a couple weeks I will wet sand and polish. It should come out really well. I documented the whole process I will send you some pics if youw ant Mike.. And this thing punches you right in the gut when you start playing. It's a great bass.
    Now I just have to styart saving for my Five string:)

Dan

17. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Great Dan. Glad to hear you're diggin' it. They really are killer basses. Hard to believe the early ones like these were marketed as "beginner basses". Punchy mofo's.

And yeah, I'd love to see some pics when you get time!

-Mike