Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just scored my new bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sippy, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I just took received my 1973 Fender Precision Bass.. and SUNBURST.. can you say "dream bass"?! .. So yea.. my question is It has the original case. and 2 of the metal clasps are broken. Anybody know if Fender sells replacements?
    Also on the headstock the paint is starting to crack. You can't peel it off.. it looks like it's below the gloss. I dunno, but this bass is BEAUTIFUL and all I had to do was buy my buddy a 60W Amp and New P-bass for this beauty..
    I tried putting new strings on for some reason they keep popping off.. and I can't get it in tune.. I don't know why. I may take it to my bass instructor and see what he says.. BUt you will all receive pics of my stunning beauty tomorrow :) :hyper:

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Congratulations!

I've got a sunburst 73 myself...and it IS sweet.

Don't worry about the 'cracking', you can expect many basses of that era to have weather checking...mine's covered in it, and I think it's beautiful.

3. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    whew thanks for the info about the cracking.. just as long as I wake up tomorrow and that beautiful guitar I have doesn't disintegrate! lol btw that tone and string problem.. I guess the strings had to stretch more because I just picked it back up and voila.. beautifully tuned bass.
    And i'm not 100% sure it's a 73.. it's got the 1968-1981 Font for "precision bass" the 70's big letters. and the case was used in 1972.(even tho I saw it with a 1974 and 75 bass) so I dunno.. The serial number is 505666 if you can make sense of it :) I'd like to get some info of this bad ass bass if I can. Also it has a bridge cover.. I've seen some that don't have that so I dunno if that is specific to any particular year.

4. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Either 73 or 74, most likely.

Does it have a date on the neck heel?

You'd have to take the neck off to check.

You might also be able to date the pots if they're original.

5. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Yea the pots are original.. this guitar hasn't been played since 1984.. I just put new strings on since then. I don't want to take ANYTHING off this guitar :(.. Even when I played regular guitar.. before I started bass, I loved the 70's Fenders in Sunburst.. and I finally have one.. i'm keeping it COMPLETELY original except for a new pickguard since the original one cracked and the last owner was a machinest and he made a new one out of Aluminum.. and painted it white.. you honestly cannot tell a difference, .. but I want to replace it anyway.. so I ordered a mint green pickguard.. and the Tuning pegs are kinda dull.. and so is the bridge cover.. would chrome polish work on these? and the front of the guitar is kinda dull.. but the back is glossy.. would guitar polish lighten it all up a bit?

6. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    You could probably polish it up a bit...it wouldn't hurt it to try.

I would think about a tort. pickguard...that's what would have come on it originally.

For reference, here's my all original 73:
    [​IMG]

7. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    How familiar are you with replacing strings? Make sure that you bend the end of string at an angle before you put it in the tuner peg hole.

8. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Yea.. I got the string situation settled :) thanks! .... Burning Skies, yours didn't come with the bridge cover? the Chrome plate that goes over the whole bridge?

9. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Yes...and the pickup cover. You can see the mounting hole for them if you look at that picture closely. I just don't like playing with them on...They're sitting on my dresser these days.

10. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    ohh ok damn thats a nice bass :( this is going to sound strange.. but it looks great on top of the leopard skin. it brings out the color much better.

11. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Thanks...I keep that around just for instrument pics. The pattern helps my camera focus better and I can get good fine detail pictures if I need.

12. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Sorry for the size of the pics :( I never used Windows before lol More of a linux guy.. and I don't know any art programs.

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    If you have Microsoft Office, there is usually a program that is included called Office Picture Manager, or something like that. You can use that to resize pictures in one step.

15. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Actually photobucket has a utility like that I just found :).. so what do you guys think? she plays nice and all for $600.. with originial case.

16. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Nice!

It looks like it's been well loved...it has 'good' playwear but no signs of abuse.

On the strings, those tuners are designed so you can insert the string into the center of the post, rather than passing it through the notch. So, cut your strings to length, insert the end of the string straight down into the post then wrap.

The white guard makes it look like either a 50's or a modern P.

17. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Yea i'm gonna do the strings pretty soon.I'm taking it to my bass instructor today :)

18. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    That thing would look _killer_ with a tortoise shell pickguard.

19. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    yea If I don't like the mint green i'll probably get the tort :)

20. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Sounds like you got the best of your buddy in the trade.

By a long shot.

Enjoy your new bass. :D