1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I just set up my 5 string EADGC

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 95JettaCity, Apr 10, 2006.

1. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    So I just got done playing with my newly tuned EADGC 5 stringer and I friggin love it! I was never a fan of a B string, I only used it for D as I'm sure many others do. Having an extra high string really makes walking the bass a lot more enjoyable. And not only that, but the tone of a thinner string really sounds great! I did this on my Fender Deluxe Jazz and have no problems with the strings not fitting right. In fact, the bass plays better than before and really has a tight, solid feel to it.

I think it may just have to stay this way! :hyper:

2. phillys

phillys

Feb 4, 2006
    Malaysia
    Did you take out the B string and add a thin C string or did you use the original 5 strings and tune them from B-E-A-D-G to E-A-D-G-C?

I am very interested in doing that cause I often catch myself not using the B string very much.

3. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    definately did not tune BEADG to EADGC. probably used a 6 string set and tossed the B. havent read of strings that could take tunings like that without snapping. puts immense strain on the neck too.

4. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    ehque is right. I just bought a 6 string set and left the B string for a rainy day. But I will admit that I did tune my Lakland JO 4 to ADGC for a short time to see if I liked it. Now granted it wasn't exactly great for playability, it did give me a good preview of the sound. And much to my surprise, none of the strings snapped during the 30 mintues I did this.

I definitely suggest trying this new tuning. The 6 string set I bought was about $25 and I think all of us could fork that over to try something new and exciting. Good luck!

Andy

5. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    You can also buy single C strings, to go along with a regular 4-string set. I buy standard gauge rotosounds and single 35 gauge C strings.

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yep. That's what I do, too. The B string is invariably the most expensive string of a set. If I'm not planning on using it, I'm not planning on buying it.

I'm about to restring one of my Bongos with TI Flats EADGC. I've used the tuning on and off over the years. I'm moving to an 'on' stage, again...

7. MattMPG

MattMPG Matt Pulcinella Guitars

Apr 6, 2006
    I once tuned a new 6-string (Level 6) F# B E A D G and brought it to a guitar show I was doing in Nashville. Every once in a while I'd plug it in and play a fast chromatic scale ending at the low G. The whole show would turn and look at me and I'd look around like it was an accident. It was GREAT!!

As many of you know, Tyler use to sell his 6s this way.

Matt

mpguitar.com