I just spent $447.53 on King Crimson CDs.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Yes, I'm a dork. Even though I already have over 50 KC CDs, I got on their website today and bought everything that I don't have in my collection. Twenty-two items, including a couple of double CDs and two box sets. I've been wanting to do this a long time, and I finally found the guts to blow that much cash on music.

I now reign supreme on TB as the biggest King Crimson geek. Behold my nerdish glory!
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Can I ban you from recordings?
  3. Holy hell...

But I bet you don't have the Fripp/ Summers CD!
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    He probably does...I have both Fripp/Summers albums on vinyl.

I envy you. It's going to take a long time to listen to all that Crimso though.

brad cook
  5. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Hah! I bet you don't have the Robert Fripp/Micheal Jackson/RuPaul Christmas Album!
  6. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    No, I don't have any Fripp/Summers CDs. But the Robert Fripp/Micheal Jackson/RuPaul Christmas Album... that's the shizzle!
  7. I've never listened to much K.C. but after reading a progressive rock book recently I wanted to know if someone could recommend a "best of" CD that has stuff from all (most) incarnations of this band.

Also, of the "original" albums with the original group, would "Court of the Crimson King" be my best bet to start or did they get better/have a better later album?

8. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I'd spend $447.53 on KC albums too, if it didn't mean I'd have to live on water and air for 3 months. :meh:
  9. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Oi! :eek:

50 albums and you weren't content? :eyebrow:
  10. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I forgot.... Congrats!:D
  11. You remember the rule, you don't actually have them unless we see pictures. ;)
  12. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I don't think I spent that much on all my CD's in my life! :eek:

I'd like a pic of your entire KC collection. That should keep you busy for a while... :D
  13. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    That's a tough call. There is much debate as to which line up is best - every album sounds pretty different. I tend to like the current stuff, which is very electronic and heavy, but some of the older cats prefer their earlier stuff, which pretty much set the stage for "prog rock".

Albums I would consider essential would be:
    In the Court of the Crimson King
    Lark's Tounges in Aspic
    The Power to Believe

If you hate one, you may love another. The only thing that's really consistent about them is their lack of consistency.
  14. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Absent Lovers - Live from 1984 is a good one.

Also Heavy ConstruKction. It's a 3 disc live album from a more recent lineup.

brad cook
  15. Bet it was worth every dollar you spent, though! Cheers! :)
  16. Congratulations! We're now even. :D

- Dave
  17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    My lord... I don't know if this is right but... I envy you so much right now.

All I have is "Happy with what you have to be happy with" and it's friggin' amazing. On the basis of that album (and what I heard of Court of the Crimson King) if I had 447.53 lying around... I'd buy something else. But I'd gladly take those CDs for free... or maybe if I could talk them down to 150... :D

I had no idea they had so much material! Congrats man... you can add this to the "nerd" thread in off topic.
  18. Definately check out Red and Beat. All the new stuff is incredible. You should really consider the new live DVD as well. SOUNDS AMAZING. And Trey Gunn lets you have it a few good times.

Dude, I freakin hate you. I can't believe you have that much K.C. That's incredible. I too am a K.C. nerd, only I'm a nerd with no money. Enjoy.
  19. Thanks guys. I suppose I've been most attracted to "Court..." and "Aspic" as they were what started everything.

I'd also be interested in hearing one that has melodic/somewhat busy basslines. Tony Levin? Trey Gunn's use of stick and Warr guitar aren't of as much interest to me as I don't play those instruments...

Any final recommendations based on that specific criteria?
    DOES a best of collection exist for most/all of the band's lineups?
    Thanks again! Jim
  20. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Ben, I love you and we never talk anymore! Congrats on your collection, I know no one who loves KC as much as you.