I just thought I'd let you know... (re: Dave Castelo's Contact List idea)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by XavierG, Oct 29, 2002.

1. ...that I, for one, thought Dave had a good idea in the works, and I'm sorry to see it go down the drain. To recap, it was proposed that a couple of trusted members compile a (confidential) list of Talk Bass member emergency contacts, in the event that a member disappeared for some time, so that the group would be able to check to see if things were ok. This was to be voluntary, and you were not required to provide the information if you did not feel comfortable doing so. The information was to be kept confidential, and not used unless a member, known to post regularly, inexplicably dropped out of TalkBass and was not heard from for a few months. The idea was that attempts would be made to email /contact the MIA member directly, just to make sure his/her disappearance was not due to serious health issues, or worse. If those attempts do not pan out, a simple email or phone call to the designated person (relative?) that appears on the list would be the last resort. It would probably be a good idea for anyone on the list to let their contact person know that they are being placed on such a list, and why that is. This way they'll know why they're being contacted, if it comes to that.

I gather that the original plan was axed because of some negative input by members (Dave posted the original thread yesterday, and has since removed it). That's too bad, because I was ready to forward my contact info. to Dave. Think about it, if a nice, sweet, funny guy like me dropped out of Talkbass without warning, wouldn't some of you want to know if I kicked the bucket or not? (I'm not sure I want to know the answer to that question :) ) Any member who doesn't feel comfortable with this arrangement need not participate. As for myself, I consider many of you to be my friends, and I WOULD like to know that you're alright.

Dave, you had a good idea, and I hope you're still ready to do this. It'll take at least 2 members to safekeep the contact list. Let's find a 2nd volunteer and get this going.

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i thought/still think its a great idea, i'm ready to forward my info

and of course we'd wanna knoe if everything was ok X ;)

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    i still have a copy of what i wrote...

decided to delete the idea because it was "too canadian" of my part :rolleyes: and also I just got 2 PMs with info in the five hours it lasted (i know I should have waited but it was very discouraging to read messages on the forum and so few info to work)

ill post the entire info sometime later in this day for the people that still want to do it...

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    nevermind, here's the original:

Well i received some PMs regarding the idea I had in the light of a recent thread about one of our very own talkbasser tragical death (Thread HERE).

Concept: Making a list of interested talkbass members with information that will allow us to contact member's relative(s) in case of long time of not logging on here.

requirements: you will send me a PM (i cleaned my folder for this) or mail with the following info:

-Talkbass Username
    -Username REAL NAME
    -Member LOCATION (country, State, City)

-EMAIL of a relative or close relatives with email access. (also in which language should we address him, ENGLISH IS DEFAULT)
    -PHONE NUMBER of relative and/or own home (totally optional (this is for USA members that could be phoned if a member lives close to him)

-Optional Custom message in a different language (Icelandic crowd, Latin America crowd et all) [this will be useful if the relative does not speak english)

*ABSOLUTELY PRIVACY* (i dont really have any intentions of using this list for something evil, i just want to return talkbass some of the much it has done to me, as a bassist and a person)

Conditions to contact your relatives: we will not use the list to spam your family, we will never email them for no reason, but these are the official scenarios to do it:

SCENARIO: Member has some months without logging in to talkbass and someone notices ("hey, where's "Talkbasser"? threads"):

1.-We will check your profile to see when was your last post and also what was on it (messages like "Hey guys im moving to Europe" or "Im taking really LONG vacations" or "Im gigging overseas!" will help us to kinda know your status)... if the user has posted in a while and messages dont give any reason for your departure we will continue to part 2.

2.-we will, first EMAIL you with the mail you provided to talkbass, if no response:

3.-we will email the relative you gave us and ask in the best of ways what is your status and where are you.

4.-in case of bad (or good) news, the talkbass community will be notified.

Outro: the info i collect will be put togheter in a txt file, that txt file will be mailed to Paul and another moderator/member.

again, this is open to all members and is not obligatory

Mods, make this thread sticky please

PS:Any suggestion/question can be done here

Also Im not into it anymore, someone else please volunteer for the pm recolecting and txt file making

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    <-------- this evil man has bad ideas and will stalk your family via mail every month! :eek::rolleyes:

like I said, im out of this... i will send my info to whoever wants to pick this one up
  7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    dunno either, im following the internet trends just to be cool :cool:

8. As previously stressed, there will be no INTRUSION for the simple reason that, if your contact names are on the list, it would likely be because YOU WILLINGLY provided the information to whomever it is that manages the list. Furthermore, having provided the information to the list manager (LM), you will, presumably, expect that a couple of attempts will be made to contact you should you drop out unannounced. If you're on the list, and fed up with Talkbass, simply PM the LM and let him/her know you won't be participating for a while (no further explanation required). It's SO SIMPLE, I can't understand what the problem is. Maybe it's because I AM Canadian!
  9. Dave when I said it was to Canadian for me. I didn't mean that in a negative way, really!...... What were you thinking???

Like Mr. Fuqua said, it seems a little weird to me too, but that shouldn't stop you from following through with it..
    Your heart is in the right spot.....Good luck!

10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    lol im a missplaced Canadian lol

11. Tell you guys what, since the imposter-Canadian (Dave) no longer wants to handle the list, let's get the ball rolling by nominating someone to do it. I nominate myself (if only to get this going - 'cause I know that if we sit on it, it'll die a natural death). C'mon guys, nominate some people and let's do this.
  12. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    I volunteer...Let me know if you still need me...I am pming you right now w/my information...

...Dave, for what its worth, I second the idea the first time it was brought up...I am gladly doing this, for you are all my family...even if there are stupid sibling fights now and again....:D
  13. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    like, if this thing works im sending Mr. X my info because i trust him like, a lot
  14. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I thought it was a good idea as well. Although, I sometimes wonder if some of you would prefer that I disappeared from this site.

;) ;)
  15. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    I Would, I would...****(says to self..."Did I say that out Loud?")...errr...I don't, I don't:D
  16. Ok, it's rolling! I've received some info via PM and have started the list. To those of you who have sent me personal information, rest assured that I will not compromise your privacy in any manner whatsoever. The info will be used only when necessary, as discussed. Please make sure that your listed contacts know about this. Also, I realize that I've sort of appointed myself king here, but that's just to get this moving along. I would prefer to do this in a more democratic manner, but until others are nominated, I'm the boss and there's not a thing you can do about it :) (kidding - don't send me nasty PM's).

To standardize submissions, copy the following and paste it on your PM message to me, then fill it out. At least one contact name and email is needed. The rest (other than your Username, Name, and an email address) is optional.

E-mail address:
    Your Alternate E-mail:
    Your Phone No.:
    Your Address:
    1st Contact Name:
    1st Contact E-mail:
    1st Contact Alternate E-mail:
    1st Contact Address:
    1st Contact Phone No.:
    2nd Contact Name:
    2nd Contact E-mail:
    2nd Contact Alternate E-mail:
    2nd Contact Address:
    2nd Contact Phone No.:

If you're on the list and want out, just PM me (or whoever is voted to handle the list) - no explanation required.

17. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Perhaps because that's the most profoundly astonishing quote I've ever heard in my life. I'm on the bandwagon too now. Another damn copycat.

brad cook
  18. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    haha, amazing :D