Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just traded my mesa m-pulse for the el'cheapo yba200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scutterflux, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Well, I can't say that I'm dissapointed, in fact I'm very excited. I traded my mesa boogie m-pulse for a 200W all tube traynor YBA200. I love the tone of this thing, and it really drives my 2x10 as a stand alone. My drummer commented on the fact that he can really here me now, and it's allot cleaner and just sounds better (I've only used a 2x10 with the traynor, when usually I use a 2x10 plus 1x15 setup with the mesa, Interesting eh!)

So how come everybody seems to think this amp is only for if you're on a budget or something? It's a tonal delight, at 45lb a light amp, 200W yes, but tube watts like the Aguilar db359, and traynor is reliable. It's like a Canadian SVT, only much cheaper than a svt, it sounds better, probably will last longer, and all because it's Canadian made, he he he, eh!.

My girlfriend also says she likes it better and she is hot so I'll take her word for it. She said it sounded "sweeter, more like caramel as opposed to fudge." (She is also a musician, not blonde)

I'm still keeping the mesa cabs for now.

2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I don't know why it's considered "budget" gear either. I have a XM200C combo. It sounds a lot better than many amps I've played through, and seems to be very well built. I expect many years of trouble free use from it, given Yorkville's reputation.

As long as you're happy with it, who cares what anybody else thinks? :hyper:

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If hot chicks dig it, then what's not to like! :p

4. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    If your hot girlfriend likes it than f@$k anyone elses opinion ;)

5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

I'll go along with that :hyper: :bassist:

6. I'm gonna have to agree with all these guys to lol, the girlfriend is the only one that matters:p But in all seriousness I don't know where people get that its "budget" gear. I bought the XM200T and the 15 inch extension cab and it cost me like somehwere in the neighbourhood of 900 bucks Canadian. It's done me good ever since. Congrats on your sweet new amp, hope you enjoy:)

Jared

7. The opinions wont be the only thing getting 'f@$k' ed ;)

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, at least we hope so for Scutterflux's sake! :p

9. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I'm the happy owner of an XS400 & couldn't be happier. I don't buy the budget thing either. I just look at it this way, I got a good deal on a great amp & now have more money for gear & beer (not necessarily in that order!)

I did play a YBA200 about a week ago. Played a brand new ASAT bass through it pushing some SWR cabs. Wow...did that sound good.

10. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    I'm saving for a YBA200 myself. The price of it just shows how much Ampeg & Aguilar mark their gear up. I would budget all new JJ tubes in the YBA200 purchase however.

11. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    I need a mesa diesel 215 for my yba200, thats a great match.

12. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    which m-pulse model did you own? the 350(i think) or the 600?

and you're still using your mesa cabs?

13. xm200c has great tone, not enough volume for my liking tho. but i'll say, it's turned me on to the idea of getting a yorkville amp.....the tone is just too good!

14. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The YBA200 is on my GAS list (if I don't find a Trace V-series first). Great little amp.

15. Yes Brad, I traded straight up my m-pulse 360 for a sure sm57 and the traynor head. I think the guy at the store thought he was taking me for a ride, he was real excited about it, but I know I got the better deal. It's just a better amp although with less features also less of a price.

I'm still playing through a mesa 2x10 and 1x15, I'm going to get rid of one, but I'm not sure which one. I don't have the need for 2 cabs right now.

I've played around a little with some preamp tubes I had lying around, later I'll try some nice power tubes. I don't think it's really necessary, but it's always fun to fine tune an instrument. I was wondering If anybody knows if it's self biasing, or what? Could I try some 6l6's or kt88's? What would have to be done to try them?

16. no the YBA200 is not self biasing, it is actually a fixed bias amp. I am using KT88s but did not rebais, they ar runnig about 3 volts too cold but i have had no problems with that. You can always get it modded to a varaible bias.

17. Thanks bass boy.

So I should also be able to run 6l6's being they're a little less juicey than 6550 or not?

Please comment on the tonal variation of the kt88's.

Also have you tried a 5751 in the preamp yet?

I've only tried a couple of ax7's and an at7, and the tonal differance was not really in the right direction, except the 12at7 was a slight improvement.

18. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Just when I thought my GAS list was quenched for the time being I find an affordable tube bass amp with enough power to keep up with one loud guitarist and a drummer...

*adds YBA200 to GAS list unless I find a Sunn 2000S in good shape...right...*

19. I could not tell you about the 6L6 i am no tube expert, but as for the KT88s i found they make the amp a little more Hi-Fi and gave me more clean headroom. I found the 6550s distorted too quickly, but then again i did not try the 6550s with any lower gain pre-amp tubes.

my current stup is a 12at7 in V1, 12ax7 in V2 and 12au7 in V3
    with the KT88s in the power section all are JJs except the 12au7 which i left the stock Sovtek tube.

20. "That's hot."