Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just tried a BONGO at GC Today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sdguyman, Nov 14, 2003.

1. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    I just got back from GC and they had just placed a dual H 4 string Bongo on the wall. I played it for about an hour and I have to say........... I really like it, a lot! One draw back that I did not like was that the neck is pained the same color as the body and headstock. The tone is amazing. If you have just the bridge PU on its a true and true StingRay Tone. With both PU on, it it has a deeper tone that the typical MM tone. (Nice!) I give it a 2 thumbs up! I cant wait to play a 5er. :cool:

2. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    About the painted neck - did you notice it while you were playing? Because I have the Bongo 5er and, while playing it, the neck feels fine to me.

If what bothers you is just how it looks, I can understand that, but the feel seems wonderful (to me).

3. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    No, I didn't notice a difference when I played it. I just was not use to seeing the neck painted. Overall though I will get a 5 string with the dual H. I have the G&L 2500 but the BONGO is a different beast.

4. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Well, i quit having GAS for Bongo's after i got to know that their bodies are made of Basswood :spit:

:rolleyes:

5. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    5 String with a dual H? I thougth all 5-Stringers only had one low H :D

j/k

-Erlend

6. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I will never understand this incredible fascination with.....well, I'll just let it go.

If basswood bothers you, you probably haven't hear the Bongo.

If you hear the Bongo and are still bothered by basswood, you might want to have your hearing checked.

In any case, more for me!

7. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I had a basswood F bass that kicked butt. That is not a good reason to dislike the bass. Unless, of course, you really just dislike the sound of basswood.

8. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    How many basses have you played with basswood bodies? There are a lot of great basses made out of basswood. While it is softer and cheaper than alot of other woods it is still wood, no different(tonally yes) than alder ash mohogany or what ever. I have heard you rail against bass wood before, and I just wonder what your bassis for this is? If high end luthiers(F bass, MTD ect) use basswood, I can't imagine that it is that bad. Please don't take offense, I don't mean to flame here, but really am asking an honest question.

9. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    i don't like the ones with the dual humbuckers. they get in my wat when i slap/pop.

10. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Hi.

I just dont tolerate basswood. I'm not saying that all F-Basses, MTD's and other basswood axes are crap, but i dont like the wood. To me, it's a poor man's wood (sorry if i'm insulting anyone). It's cheaper, ligther and softer than, lets say Ash and alder. And it sounds bad too (IMO).

I guess i'm just more of a "heavy wood" guy :rolleyes:

Cheers!
    -Erlend

11. Yeah, rich people should play basses made fully of Brazilian rosewood and wenge.

12. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Hey Funkycarnivore: don't forget Gaboon Ebony!

....nah, seriously: I think its terrible that the rainforest is getting destroyed. I dont think that "rich" people should be allowed to chop down the rainforest either.

I prefer Maple and Northern Ash myself, that is north american woods, isnt it?

And, even though they are more expensive and better (IMO) than basswood, they arent rainforest!

-Erlend

13. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    That post made absolutely NO sense, eh? :rolleyes:

What im trying to say, is:
    why use basswood when you can use ash? And, even though you are rich, you dont need to make a guitar out of rainforest.

....forget it :D

-Erlend

14. Poor man's wood--sounds kinda gross.

15. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i got a frdera mdae out uv balsa nd it rox

16. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Ok I understand your point, and agree to an extent, but maybe this should have been followed by IMO.

I just think that somebody who doesent know any better will see that and think that you can not have a good bass made out of basswood(kinda ironic that it's bass+wood:p ) while as is shown by the originator of this thread that in his opinion a very high quality, and great sounding instrument can be made out of it. Now personally I have to admit that it would not be my first choice for wear and tear reasons, but it is still an option.

Oh and for my next bass I have planned a Sassafrass body with a mostly nothern ash neck(havent decided on the stringers yet)

17. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I agree that this is a great disaster taht is taking place, but as I understand it it is not so much the logging(while that does contribute) as the clearing of land for farming that is destroying the rain forests.

18. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    The Bongo has an obnoxious design. I don't like it all. But I'm sure it's a wonderful bass, just because MM always do wonderful basses.

19. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i think its interesting that a guy bitching about the way musicman makes their great basses has a squier pbass listed as his bass with no amp. Ive played a bongo and they are incredible. I was pretty sure that stingrays were made out of ash or alder? am i wrong? i didnt think they made a basswood stingray. Oh well not like it matters, if u can tell a difference tonally you should be a producer cuz u have an incredible ear.

20. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I'll bet the Bongo sounds great - can't say one way or the other about the basswood body, though. I think the design could benefit from a longer lower horn.