Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I Just Wanna Thank Y'all

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gard, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I've been a "regular" here since 2000 (wow...over 4 years??? :eek: ), and it is truly amazing to me how much of a family this is.

As most of the other long-timers here know, I've been through a lot over the past 2 years of my life, and it all came to a complete ending today. I won't rehash the entire situation, but in short here 'tis:

Wife left, I fought to save marriage for 18 months, failed (not due to a lack of effort or intent on my part, but to a lack of desire on her's - I know, let it go), divorce final in Feburary, she got house (my idea)

As of today at noon, I left my former home, and will never again park in that green driveway. I have a wonderful, beautiful new place (I bought a townhouse, very happy with it), and should be joyously settling into my new life. I'm not. But, I will be.

The reason I'm posting this is that I got on here tonight, depressed, terminally lonely, literally crying.

Within 5 minutes, I was laughing out loud (Benjamin Strange, thanks, I ever make it out there, you do not buy beer).

I know it seems silly to some, but this place has been such a sanctuary for me at times, and I just want to thank each of you.

Thanks.

:D

2. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    Man I completley agree with you. I know I haven't been here nearly as long as most of you guys have, but even in the short time I can see how tight everybody is here. So I'll keep coming back everyday, hopefully with something to say. On another note, have fun with the new home!

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    congrats on the new start gard. i know it's hard to make them happen, change is frightening.

4. Aye, +1

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Gard deserves smiles.
    :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
    :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

We love ya Gard.

6. Do I know you?

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Gard, no matter what crap happens out in the world, you will always have your buds here. Peace...

8. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    and you deserve longterm happiness too! It's all about the attitude you have to overcome it all...and obviously you have that. :)

9. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Gard,

Those of us who have been on TB for any significant amount of time know that you are one hell of a stand-up guy. You've been incredibly helpful to more of your fellow bassists than most of us can lay claim to. Those of us who have met you personally know that it is more than just an internet facade. There is nothing a man can own that can take the place of his integrity.

You're a good man. Keep hold of that.

Peace,

James

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I love you too, Gard. If you ever need a nipple to suck, I'm right here.

[​IMG]

11. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    *HUG* :smug:

12. Well, buddy, I'm glad to hear that you're moving on and doing well. Yes, you do have friends here, though some of us may not have had the privellage to meet you in person. Once again, I hope that the pastures you graze in continue to turn greener by the day. ..... and for chrissakes, get a gig! You owe it to yourself to continue doing what you love.... playing bass! I, for one, was a bit sad when you broke the news about dropping your latin gig some time back (but understood that you were going through some rough times) . Surely, you can strike a workable balance between relationships and music. Give your heart to the woman you love, but give your soul to that which drives your passions. Finally, you know you can always come online and be amongst friends, right here.... where everybody knows your name. :)

Peace....

X

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Right on brutha.....glad we could help.

Fortunately, nothing majorly bad has happened in my life, but I think I would prolly come here for some encouragement if it did.

-Mike

14. just remember that your job is a lot more fun than our jobs!

15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Best wishes Gard. Sounds like your in a much better place now (I don't mean your house.)

16. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I wondered what you looked like. hmm. not exactly what I'd pictured, but close enough.

17. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Gard, that's why we're here. We're all here to help whoever with whatever.

Gard, I hope everything works out. Best of luck.
    Thanks for recognizing what a great place this is.

18. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    Best of luck Gard.Plenty of fish in the sea,trust me I know!

I agree.TB is dope.Who would have ever thought there'd be a site where you could interact with Mike Watt?

19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Thanks again y'all.

Ben - You have of course done it again...and completely put me off of dairy products for life! :eek:

JT - Thanks. What's the scoop on the "old school TB/TBL ATL GTG"???? :D

X-man - In time, my man, in time.

James - The feeling is mutual, my friend, I really enjoyed your visit, wish we could have hung more.

Freaky - No, no you don't. :p

FBJ & MTG - Welcome to the family, and thanks. :)

DHC - Sometimes it is a cool job. Don't make up for some of the things life has thrown at me, but at least I dig my job, usually.

By-Tor - Slainte M'hath. ;) I have been the guy "Clutching At Straws" for a couple of years, time to let the straw go.

Everyone else...just thanks...I'm gonna go now 'fore I get all verklempt again....

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Don't worry Gard, I'm always too busy to talk to you. ;) :D