I just want to compress the low end, options?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by wilser, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Hello, I want to compress only the low end (maybe sub 300hz) and leave everything else dynamic. What are my options as far as compression processors go?

Rane DC24 is mighty expensive.
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Trace Elliot used to sell a dual band compressor pedal, you could look for a used one.
  3. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    The Rane DC24 will do this. It's a single space dual channel compressor that you can use to split yor mono bass signal, set the crossover, compress the high and low as you want, or don't, and combine them back to a mono output.

I used one for a while. It worked well.
  4. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Tim at Tym's guitars (http://www.tymguitars.com.au) told me he was developing a deluxe version of the "Big Bottom" that will include a seperate output for low and high frequencies.
  5. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    Not sure where the Big Bottom's cross over point is but it should work compressing just the low end. Compressor needed in addition, obviously.
  6. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    EBS Multicomp pedal allows to set threshold for highs and lows separately on two trimmers inside. According to manual, by turning trimmer fully counter clockwise you can bypass that band from compression. I don't know about exact crossover frequency, though.
  7. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
  8. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio

Just remember as all these names are thrown out, most compressors color your sound in some manner. Some people actually obtain these compressors for the color they lend (Like a Distressor or a Juicer) but others aren't so desireable.

9. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I second the Trace Elliot SMX Dual Compressor pedal. You can fing them between $50-$100 on Ebay at times.

Attached Files:

10. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    I've heard of the Distressor, but what's a Juicer? Who makes (made?) it?
  11. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    It's a handmade boutique pedal made by Analogman. It is an exact copy (circuit wise) of the 70's Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer. It is suppose to color your sound enough to get a decent copy of a fretless sound. Here is a picture and link.

Analogman's Juicer

12. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Digitech makes a dual band compressor as well. Widely available, can be had pretty cheap.
  13. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    EBS Multicomp, I've been using one for a few years now to do exactly what you say.
  14. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    If you're going stomp then the EBS is the way to go. If you're amenable to rack, Rane is great stuff ... I prefer rack personally but that's just me ...
  15. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    TC Electronics makes/made (not sure if it's still in production) a Triple-C Compressor. This was made pretty much specifically for the purpose you desire.
  16. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    an option would be....bi-amp your rig and with a mono compressor of your choice..process the low signal only.

I just picked up a DC24 off of ebay for under 150.00.
  17. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
  18. I got a used DC24 and it does just what I wanted. What a great piece of machinery this is!

Thanks to all that recommended it.

19. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I'm very happy with mine as well.

20. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Well, I'm assuming that the reason you want to do this is to tighten up the low end and make it less boomy and sit in the mix better? My main Jazz has Aero singles which sound great, but the low end can get really out of hand if you dig in at all, especially on the B string. I started using the Fishman Platinum Pro DI/preamp. Though it isn't compressing the low end seperately as such, through use the onboard compressor, the low EQ slider and the depth control (essentially a variable high pass filter), I've found that it really tightened up the low end a lot. Now I can get that Jazz growl with fullness that's not boomy. I would often kinda hold back when hitting the B string, just because I was dreading a ridiculous rumble (the sound man hated it too), but it's not a problem now. Pretty cheap for what you get, IMO.