1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I just watched Steve Miller playing a live gig... and he has a dude playing keyboard bass.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DrayMiles, Dec 13, 2016.

1. DrayMiles

DrayMiles Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    There's a dude singing harmonies, 2 guitars, and a dude playing keys and keyboard bass?!?

Why? Does anyone know anything about this? I mean, STEVE MILLER and all bass is a sample? It's Austin City Limits I see...

Even a huge portion of, what I consider essential riffs on those songs are missing somewhat...

????

2. DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Ok, the other guitarist is playing bass on Fly like an eagle...

3. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Austin city limits. Yea, made me wanna puke

4. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

That's okay......I saw Steve Winwood and there was NO bass!

There was a saxophonist who sometimes played a bass sax.

Steve also was playing a B3 and his feet were moving faster than Rabbitt Bundrick with The Who the date after Entwhistle died.

Interesting to hear Winwood with this setup.

Didn't miss it. Was waiting to hear that I would, but never happened.

Let the whipping begin....

5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Organ pedal bass can be pretty amazing.

odarellmc and PWV like this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Funny thing is it was probably Joseph Wooten playing keys (Victor's brother). I don't know if he's still with them but he was for years.

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    It was Joseph on Austin City Limits with Miller.

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Reattach player and a great guy. (Everyone in that family is just so nice.) But I have never seen him cover bass on keys. The two times I saw the band live they had a bass player.

9. DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    It just looks disconcerting... I wonder what logistics cause this deviation from the norm? What could be the added expenditure of having a dedicated bassist in Steve Miller's case?

10. DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Historically with Winwood it makes sense... to me anyway.. :)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  11. Radio

Radio Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2010
    New Haven, CT
    Barbara Dennerlein kicking the sticks:

That box on top of her B-3 takes a midi signal from the pedals and makes them sound like a double bass.

onosson and Spectrum like this.
  12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    During the long stretches when Traffic was a trio, it was the same. Chris Wood would play the organ when Winwood was on guitar. Over the entire history of that band, they never had a steady bassist.

We all know why bands drop the bass player: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Expenses are up, revenues are down. Neither Steve Miller or Steve Winwood is cranking out big hits or playing arenas as a headliner any more.

I've seen it happen with local bands, where choosing between staying a a quartet making $75 each vs. becoming a trio making $100 each is a heartbreaking decision. I was once in a sextet...female vocalist, guitar/vocals/BL, bass, drums, two horns and sometimes if the pay was good we added a piano. When the female vocalist dropped out to have a baby, the clubs we were working in wouldn't book us any more even though the guitarist could handle vocals for the night. To keep working at all, the guitarist pared it down to a trio. :banghead:

13. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Saw SM live (with a bass player) years ago. Hands down most boring show I've ever been to!

Last time I saw Jimmy Vaughan, he was touring without a bass player. Bass was covered by the left hand of the guy playing a Hammond B3. Sounded pretty sweet.

14. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    He sad thing is, I always remember Miller touring with a badass bassist like Gerald Johnson.

bobba66 likes this.
  15. I saw the same episode of ASL. Maybe the bass-dude was barfing up bad Mexi-feast backstage and couldn't stand up long enough to do the gig? Otherwise, yeah....can the backing vox dude and get a real bassist-at least for one televised gig. Wow.

16. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    If it sounded good who cares

nolaguy and Toolmybass like this.
  17. DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    The sound was okay... I think cutting corners like that is horrible... I mean, $500 to $1000 a gig wouldn't hurt him... IMO...

18. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Maybe something happened and the bassist just couldn't play at the last minute. These guys are such pro-level musicians that they just adjusted and on with the show. You should call Mr. Miller and ask him.

alaskaleftybass and brbadg like this.
  19. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    One thing I'm proud of is Steve Miller has never asked me not to play bass so he could use a keyboard player.

Spectrum and Jughead6 like this.
  20. Charley Umbria

Charley Umbria I'm Really a Drummer Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Rock City, TN
    While I would've preferred an actual bass player, I've got to give Joseph Wooten props. It was almost schizophrenic at times watching him play a decent bass line with his left hand and a legit organ part with his right, both with different feels.

EDIT: As to the question of why Miller didn't use a real bass player, the answer may lie in the fact that 90% of the audience probably didn't realize that he hadn't! :sorry: