1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I just won a chili cookoff !

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bard2dbone, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I never win contests. I just don't. But last year my church sponsored a chili cook off and I thought the winners chili was just okay. So yesterday morning I find out that the next one was yesterday evening. I went to the store, bought some ingredients, and made a batch of chili.

I won.

My 'Hardcore Carnivore Chili' was the first place winner. I'm feeling way more smug than the actual achievement warrants. I'll probably be better in a couple of hours, but right now I'm making Peter McFerrin faces all over the house. :smug::smug::smug:

2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    That's awesome. Recipe? :ninja:

3. No photo, no Major Award.

4. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    What I want to know are the after effects of the Chili.

Does it provide propulsion as well as odor?
    How would you describe the thickness, staying power, and spread of the "after effects"?
    Does the overall, quality of the "after effects" differ from other Chilis in terms of bouqet and ambience?

5. Dammit Jive! It was a Chili Cookoff, not WMD testing :p Good odor combined with a long hang time is what I strive for.

Congrats on the win. I never follow a recipe, I just use whatever meat I decide to go with and season to taste. I like to use Curry Powder as well as Chili Powder for a slightly different but GOOOO flavor :)

6. Uh, can you guys handle that discussion via PM? I'm trying to eat my lunch here. :eyebrow:

7. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    What about shart potential? Don't forget shart potential. The power of a shart is often under estimated with messy consequences.

8. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Hardcore Carnivore Chili​

2 lb Tenderized Stew Beef
    2 lb Ground Beef
    1 lb Ground Turkey
    1 lb Chorizo
    2 1/2 cups Tomato sauce
    2 Onion; chopped
    Garlic to taste - chopped
    2 ts Salt
    2 ts Cayenne pepper
    2 ts Tabasco Sauce
    2 tb Oregano; dried, crushed
    2 tb Cumin; ground
    10 Red peppers; 2" long (opt)
    8 tb Chili powder
    2 tb Paprika
    5 tb Masa Harina Flour
    2 cans (15 oz) Black Beans, drained
    2 cans (15 oz) Cark Red Kidney Beans, drained
    1 can (32 oz) Diced Tomatoes

OR​

You can do the easier version and just get two packets of Wick Fowler's 2 Alarm Chili mix, plus the meats and canned things on my list.

Start by cooking all the meats until they are pretty thoroughly browned. Drain the living hell out of the meat, because chorizo tastes great but adds a LOT of grease. Add the tomato sauce, 4 cups of water and all the spices, BUT NOT THE MASA HARINA, cover and cook for a half hour.Make a paste with the Masa Harina in warm water to thicken the chili. Add the paste, the beans and the tomatoes. Cover again. Lower heat to simmer and let it cook for at least another hour. Basically the longer it cooks, the better it will taste.

9. Mmmm...chorizo! Great idea, that's going in my next batch.

10. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    Congrats. I am curious how many servings that recipe make though. It's 6 lbs of meat total...

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    this is how i know you're the real deal.. good job!

:D

Bard2dbone likes this.
  12. If you're after my approval, I'm going to need a decent-sized portion or two for proper asessment of the aforementioned qualities. :)

13. That sounds delicious.

14. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    +1. That's why you won too. Thanks for the recipe. Gonna try it. :hyper:

15. Chorizo is magic. I put 2 or 3 sausages in my boiled peanuts. It gives them a great flavor :cool:

16. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Congratulations! My Corn Chowder placed 5th last week. Maybe I should look into Chorizo?

17. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    um, what's chorizo ?

18. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ

A Major Award:

[​IMG]

19. Baryonyx