Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just won a Genz Benz GBE500H on ebay!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by panic_striken, Dec 29, 2005.

1. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    For $197 :bassist: 400 watts @ 4ohms & 525 watts @ 2ohms!!!! Now I'm gonna pair it with a 4 ohm Aguilar S410 for right now, and in a month or so I'm gonna add an Aguilar GS212 4ohm :D Oughta be a pretty nice rig.........ya think??? Opinions are welcome :bag:

2. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I think you did real well.

I've never played Genz Benz, but have heard good stuff and when I checked out the heads in a local shop the fit and finish was excellent. Congrats!

3. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    STEAL! :hyper:

4. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    It is a tube hybrid like the GBE600. It has the one 12ax7 in the preamp, and solid state poewr amp. Kinda off subject a little, but what are some really warm, high gain tubes that would fit??? And if I did for some reason switch would it be a very noticable difference since it's a hybrid??? Also, anyone know how an active bass will react to the tubes??? I have an active Warwick Corvette w/ Aero type 1 pups.

5. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    In my 600, I have never gotten around to messing with the tube. The tube channel does sound pretty much like the solid state channel, it's probably the tube, but I'm lazy.

I use active and passive with mine, usually on the passiv esetting but if the input is too hot I use the active/passive switch on the amp's input. Don't know if yours has one. My amp cost me $600, for a little less wattage you did really well. Just be careful about admitting you use more than a 2X10. You know how that upsets some people. :ninja:

6. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    I'm thinking about putting a Tung-Sol 12ax7 in there. Opinions.......experiences???

7. there is one up there now im the high bidder so let me win people:p

8. Genz-Benz Puts ruby tubes in their hybred heads I have changed mine to JJ tubes from Eurotubes. Much warmer and smoother sounding than the Ruby. IMHO