I keep blowing bass cabs HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Spoono Ghiefardi, May 7, 2019.

1. Spoono Ghiefardi

Spoono Ghiefardi

Nov 20, 2015
    Im using a Hartke LH 1000 or a Peavey Headliner 1000. Both high powered SS amps. I was using a Hartke AK 410 which is only 400w I think. Am I just overpowering my cab? We play really loud punk, so I need to be loud AF. Like most working musicians I don't have thousands of dollars to spend, so im looking for something on a budget. Would the Peavey Headliner cab work out? They say its 1200w but I know that those statements can be "falsehoods". Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Turbo Sparky likes this.
  2. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Definitely, need to either bring another cab into the equation or get a higher rated cab. Simply put, if your running a 1000 watt cab full bore into a cab rated for only half of that, your gonna have problems. Does your band have a backline? If so, you can turn up your slider in the PA for more volume so you can salvage your cabinet.

Is the Headliner rated at 1200 watts peak or RMS? Anyhoo, I'll let the technical amp geeks chime in on this one.

3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

If you have more than one 4x10" & need more power, replace the drivers in them & wire them each to 8 Ohms. Then you can run two 4x10" & basically have the volume of a 8x10".

Hmm, looking at the manual for the Hartke amp, it seems it can already run two 4 Ohm cabinets, so you could just wire the new drivers up to 4 Ohms per cabinet.

However, the Peavey Headliner amp is not set up that way!

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  4. McFarlin

McFarlin

Oct 27, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I don't know much about either of those heads, but from what I have read here on TB, putting a high pass filter in your signal chain should help. That'll only run you $100-200 I think.

Of course, if you really "need to be loud AF", tracking down a second AK 410 would do it best. I'm pretty sure those are 8 ohm cabs, so right now you are only getting about half of each amp's rated wattage.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    xbud, cchorney and ObsessiveArcher like this.
  5. Spoono Ghiefardi

Spoono Ghiefardi

Nov 20, 2015
    Thanks for the responses, I've also been thinking of changing out the drivers, because the cab is actually really awesome sounding.

6. A honking HPF can help a lot. Very punk to be all bark and zero boom. It will get a lot louder, until you smoke it up, which is also very punk. Maybe you already cut lows on your EQ and have been cooking drivers already?

If you go down the HPF road your failure mode definitely becomes heat rather than the shredding/smashing of farting. The only sign you will get is smell unless you notice it getting quieter.

I hope you are using earplugs.

7. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    LH 1000 can run 4 x 4ohm cabs. Or 8 x 8 ohm cabs. 2 ohms per side in dual parallel.
    As mentioned above, hpf will save your cabs. Also less lows and more mids will get you heard better in a loud mix.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  8. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You simply need another 410 cab. No way around it. You are asking too much from a single cab. Physics is working against you and you cannot defy physics.

Replacing the speakers in your Hartke is a crapshoot and could cause more issues than it fixes.

Peavey Headliner 410 is rated for 800 watts PROGRAM..which means 400 watts actual. So one of them won't help you. Getting two of them would be the answer if your existing cab is toast.

Scottgun, Rip Van Dan, smogg and 5 others like this.
  9. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I am in NJ if you want a Hartke 410 with aluminum drivers for $ 150. Maybe less.

EatS1stBassist and Groove Doctor like this.
  10. StringslamDan

StringslamDan

Nov 18, 2012
    Just find yourself a cheap used Ampeg 810 and be done with it. It could handle the LH1000's wattage, and I see them pop up quite a bit in decent condition for $250-$350.

11. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    Needing to play loud is a myth. A great band playing too loud will drive people out of a venue faster than an average band playing at an acceptable volume. TURN DOWN!

12. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    Uh oh someone called the volume police! :roflmao:

13. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    What are your tone settings? Is the bass/ low-mids up all the way?

Gearhead17 and TrevorOfDoom like this.
  14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    "Louder" speakers will get you a tiny bit more volume. What you need is MORE speakers. Two 410 cabs will get you closer than four louder 10" speakers.

15. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Then it may not be awesome sounding anymore with different drivers.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  16. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ?

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Keeley Bassist and a HPF

17. PraiseBassing

PraiseBassing Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    Where are your ears in relation to the cabs coverage pattern? If you’re pumping a ton of volume at the back of your knees and your butt, there is not much you can do until you get the coverage pattern aimed in a different direction.

18. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    Sounds like you need to run both your 1000 watt heads and get 3 more 4x10 cabs, and run 16x10's.

19. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Get a 610. You'll be that much louder, and disperse your power over more speakers. The problem is, you have too much amp, and not enough cab. If you really are cranking it that hard, you need more cab. I play death metal, with a 300w solid state amp. I'm the loudest person in the band, and would still be the loudest person if we all cranked our amps. I play through 412s. Get more speakers.

keyofnight, eriky4003 and HolmeBass like this.
  20. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    It’s a punk band: you’re barking up the wrong tree.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021