1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I keep blowing fuses.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gord_oh, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    My father in law built me an amp awhile back, and it worked great until I started using pedals.

When I turn on my amp with my pedal chain hooked up it does a "looping click" sound through my speaker but not all the time. My father in law used the term "chasing it's own tail". He has fuses hooked up to the speaker output from the amp so it will safeguard any damage to the speakers. I keep blowing those fuses after I get that feedback loop (amp shows signal but no output sound to speakers). It is a pretty high gain amp but why does this keep happening?

Currently I am using a EHX Bass Preacher, BBE Sonic Stomp Maximizer, and JHS Jet City Boost/Overdrive. I have taken each of them out of the chain, tried different cables, different order and the only thing I came up with is the bass preacher has some extra noise to it than the others. Can't narrow down why either, doesn't seem consistent.

My father in law isn't a musician, he is an electronics guy who has built amp and cabs for 30 years, more PA type stuff and some guitar stuff. Is he not building to cater to a bass player? Do I need a hum cancelling pedal or noise gate?

Any input would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  2. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    It seems that your FIL would be the best person to help you, since he built your amp. He must have an idea of what is happening if he said "chasing it's own tail".

The other thing to try, is use your pedals on a commercial amp to see if the problem moves with the pedals or not.

Or try the pedals with batt power only, with your amp, to see if the problem persists... it could be some kind of weird ground loop between the pedal power supply and amp.

-Frank

Gord_oh likes this.
  3. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    Homemade amp is the first red flag. Bass amps have different characteristics from guitar or PA rigs, and that could be a big part of the issue if your father-in-law isn't used to building them.

Putting that aside, since you say that you only have this problem when your pedals are in the chain, my next guess is that your pedals are sending your amp too hot of an input signal, which your amp is then raising to fuse-blowing levels. Either that or there's some kind of weird power supply interaction going on.

The Preacher being noisier than your other pedals is normal. Compressors in general do that, and the Preacher family is known for it. Check out Compressor Reviews for more info on compressors and how to tweak them.

Regarding adding a noise gate, it is almost never a good idea to add something to your signal chain to fix a problem that can be solved simply by turning knobs. Pedal noise, hot signals, and similar issues, all can usually be reined in by proper adjustments. If you muck about with it and can't seem to solve the noise issue with your current hardware, then it's time to think about the noise gate, or perhaps a less noisy compressor. But exhaust your adjustment options first.

Gord_oh likes this.
  4. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    this.

Gord_oh likes this.