1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I keep breaking E and A strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DeltaPhoenix, Dec 6, 2011.

1. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    The first time or two felt pretty cool. Luckily it hasn't happened during a gig, practice, in the studio, and right before a gig. It seems to happen about once a month. I have been using Dunlop strings lately. I do play pretty hard. What should I be checking out? Before this period I have maybe broken 1-2 string in years and years of playing.
    Thanks

2. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    Could be they are crap strings. But I break my B string a lot and my E string too. I think it's more likely for me [as I use different strings every time] that it is the through body design of my bridge. The strings go through at such a sharp angle.

3. Global Citizen

Global Citizen

May 6, 2010
    CANADA
    dude, when that happens during a gig, and you feel stupid for not having brought an extra bass (or extra strings)...and have to beg the opening band's bass player to lend you his bass while everyone is waiting for you... trust me ,it sucks. I just felt like venting from an incident a few years ago. Oh, right... in my case it was the bridge. :rolleyes:

4. If they're breaking at the bridge, check the saddles to make sure there are no sharp burrs on them. If you find any file them down, it helps a lot on one of my basses.

5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Time for a new bridge

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd try the old strings you were using and see how they hold up before I went replacing parts on the bass.

7. DeltaPhoenix

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    The bass is a Warwick Corvette. It has a 2 part Bridge. I am thinking that I will go back to a more expensive brand of strings but also check for burrs.
    Thanks guys!

8. jthurston

jthurston

Nov 22, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Kinda feel left out, as I've never broken a bass string. I use heavy gauge strings, but still...I kinda didn't know you could break one of these strings.

9. DeltaPhoenix

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    I am using mediums

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sure you can break strings. I've done it. Of course, I was boiling strings every week and using them for months, but I've done it. Been years and years, though.

11. Morkolo

Morkolo

Aug 11, 2003
    Newfoundland
    Is it just with the Dunlops or with every brand string you use? I used Dunlops for a short while but I found they were all over the place with their quality so I moved back to my regular brands.

12. DeltaPhoenix

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    Just since I bought a bunch of Dunlops at once for cheap...seems like that is the answer doesn't it.

13. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    +1. I used to break strings on my beloved, old Vigier all the time until I very gently used some very fine sand paper on the saddles. Haven't had a string break since.

14. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I had a Warwick FNA that was notorious for breaking the E and A strings, it was the same thing with me, about once a month, I had to change them. Until the E string broke for the last time and blew up the bridge with it, saw the whole thing happen in slow motion. Then I traded it for a mint mustang bass. The mustang never broke any strings...

15. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Also be mindful of your stringing technique to avoid putting a twist in the strings as you wrap them around the tuning post. Wrap the entire string by turning the tuning peg (as opposed to wrapping them by hand) and before the string gets tight, push the ball end out of the tailpiece so any twist will be released.

Lots of bad things happen when a string gets twisted. Most notably, the core will separate from the wrap. This can cause all kinds of issues ranging from a chorus-like sound to horrible intonation to string breakage.

16. DeltaPhoenix

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    It is possible that I have put a twist on the string. This Warwick also has the holes in the tuning peg that you insert the string into, I have never used it. Maybe I should try the Warwick recomended method...

17. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    It's worth a shot and remember to put a 90 degree bend in the string before you cut off the excess. Failure to do so can also lead to core/wrap separation.

18. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    Get a set of Pyramid strings. They'll break when you're not even playing. ;)

19. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Check the bridge for sharp edges.

20. I've heard this! That's nutty! :confused: