1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I keep learning more theory........but

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by arejay, Jan 26, 2012.

1. arejay

arejay

Jan 26, 2012
    Ive been playing bass for 8 years. Ive played in a couple metal bands in this time and have built up good dexterity in both hands, that is to say good enough dexterity to play in bands and such. Problem is when it comes to writing basslines and really outlining chords my brain is nowhere near my hands. Now that im older i still prefer to play mostly fast aggressive music but ive also started to play with some more classic rock type musician where more knowledge is required. I have also felt more compelled to learn about the bass and theory. Ive pick up some knowledge mostly from guitar players ive played with, but everytime i try to learn from a book or on the internet the lessons get to boring because its like they are talking to someone who has never touched a bass before, and i find myself noodling around and trying to gallop as fast as i can. I also have adhd or some **** too. basically what im asking is anyone know any good books for my situation or methods of learning that wont put me to sleep.

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Not really. Theory is (IMHO, IME, YMMV) boring unless you REALLY want to learn it. I'm personally enjoying it and am learning a lot just from browsing the forums on TB. However, there was a good 6 year period where I couldn't be bothered with it because I found it completely dull. I highly suggest you just go through some threads and read what is posted. A lot of it is about as basic as a person can make it. If you still don't enjoy it then don't worry with it, take a few months off from trying to learn it, and then come back to it with a fresh mind. If you really want to learn it then you will eventually.

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If you want to learn classic rock, fire up YouTube, input the audio to your amp and play along. You can look up some tabs at the same time. I don't know of any less boring way than playing along to music that you like.

You might look at Ed Friedland's books that come with a CD to give you something to play alongside...still not the most dynamic learning mode, but more active than straight book study.

Incidentally, I'm not sure that more knowledge is required for any particular style of music. The more knowledge and experience you have, the more it benefits your contribution to any kind of music you're playing.

4. CarlosRoberto5

CarlosRoberto5

Aug 9, 2011
    Texas
    Would you be so kind as to add some links that you found particularly useful?
    Pretty please? :D

5. arejay

arejay

Jan 26, 2012
    I do find that when i do learn something new going through bass lines i already know and finding where it applys is more fun

6. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario
    learning theory from a book is kinda pointless, i think. to me theory should be more practical than that. a good teacher will help you understand what theory is explaining and show you how to apply what you are learning. writing out a bunch of II V I's isn't going to do ****. having someone show you how theory explains what you are playing, and also show you how to analyze things that you don't understand will help you grow as a player.

my .02...

john

7. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    So true. I have a couple of degrees in music and I could never figure out why Music Theory is taught in a classroom in a very classic "Sit and Git" way. Seems to be that basic theory should be taught with your instrument in your hands and using every scale, chord, and interval right on your axe, whatever it is. For those who have a need to make Music Theory their life, get in front of keyboard.

8. It's a drag but... you have to start at that super basic stuff.

Chords, Major and Minor triads are a good place to start. go to youtube and search scotts bass lessons... he's got a lot of videos to get you started on arpeggio and scale practice and some others that may be of more interest to you.

Learn what intervals are and what intervals make up the major scale.

studybass.com is what i started with and often refer back to as an online reference. heck if you just read thru it it wouldn't take but a few hours. That way you can get the i need it now out of your system and go back and do the exercises. Actually the exercises aren't bad as you get at least a drum track to play to. The exercises are also challenging if you set the goal to play them thru flawless a couple times. If you can already play this will be a good way to see if you can play the basic stuff a beginner should be able to play and understand the reason it's being played. If you knock it out of the park awesome. You will also start to learn to read as well i re-learned the scale notes using the little test they have on this website.

Get guitar pro it's worth the investment if you use a computer as a training aid ...you can see the tabs and notation together... you can turn off the tabs and just see the notation when you are ready. I found myself looking at the notation more than the tabs... it was time to turn them off.

9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

You can't use theory book without taking some theory lessons, it's just impossible.

Like TurboChicken said, learn your intervals and how they work to make chords, really beyond that is your call, but intervals and chord structure is an absolute must for any functioning bass player.

I took too long learning theory because everyone I knew said it was useless, now that I now considerably more than all of them, I can safely say that was really bad advice.

Basic theory should be a must for any working musician, advanced theory is really your business.