Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I keep on breaking strings! Can't be that brutal...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by daglar, Feb 6, 2006.

1. It's the second string i break in 3 weeks! I had the same strings for 1,5 years (the default strigns that came with the bass) and 3 weeks ago I changed them with D' Angelico roundwound strings. A week later I break the g string while slapping. I blamed my bad luck and bought another string 7 days later. Now I broke that one too!

What am I doing wrong?? I don't think that it happens because of my technic, I treat my strings much better than my first ones, I think I'm setting them in the wrong way :(

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    maybe you shouldnt slap too hard.

other than that maybe your just unlucky. Ive NEVER broken a string. and neither has my teacher (in about 6 years)
    I dont really think strings are really that breakable.

so if its not technique then its probably because you are unlucky. OR (i highly doubt this but...) you may be tuning the strings too high? or somehow putting too much tension on them

3. I don't think I slap too hard cause my last strings lasted for a year and a half and I treated them much worse... I think I'm doing something wrong while setting them, nobody has ever shown me how to although it seems pretty simple

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Where does the string break? Check the bridge for any sharp spots, and make sure you are not twisting the string when you install it ... just before you bring it up to tension, try to push the ball end back out a little bit to make sure everything is strait, then pull to tighten and finish tuning. Twisted cores can cause breakage.

5. Both times the string broke on the bridge but I didn't find any sharp points. I didn't pay any attention at the twisting so that could be the problem... Both of the strings had a feature called "low riding" so they got thinner at the bridge, could this cause any problems??

6. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    That does tend to make strings more delicate, I used dean markley SR2000s for a while and broke a lot of them.

7. Certijal

Certijal

Feb 5, 2006
    Guatemala
    How high is your action? You might need to straighten your neck.

8. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Turn your volume up and let your amp do the work - playing with a lighter touch will work wonders!

Lonnybass

9. There must be a problem with the neck cause the E string hits the frets more than it should but it's a starter bass so I didn't pay any attention to it. I'm waititng for a new bass and till then I don't want to be left without one... How long does it take to do it??

I'm trying to keep my touch as light as possible but while popping there isn't really a choice is there?? ;)

10. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    One word...

DR

I used DR strings for several years and never broke a string. As soon as I decided to try something new, they break. So, I switched back to DRs, naturally.

Seriously though, if you've never tried DR strings, give em a shot. They might just be sturdy enough for you.

11. A friend of mine has also suggested DR strings so I guess I should give them a shot, I'll buy two strings this time, just in case but if these are as good as you say, the second one won't be used for a while.... I hope :)

12. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Well actually, with a lower action less neck relief, you won't need to pull nearly as hard to get the pop sound. I've got an MTD bass with action < 1/16" at the 12th fret and almost no relief, and you barely have to touch the string to get that sound. Don't have to slap very hard either.

13. Bigby

Bigby

Dec 30, 2005

+1 on DR's...High Beams in my case.

14. I bought a new ghs string, there were no DRs in the shop (at least not any separate) and the seller told me that these where the strongest he had. I 'll have the neck of my bass straighten this week and I also reduced the height of the bridge, I hope this will help a bit.

One more question, will it help going from .040 to .045 diameter?

15. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I am completely failing to break my DR black beauties so far, they've been one the bass for about two months now and have seen at least an hour a day of playing time including plenty of slapping and they're holding up beautifully. I used to use GHS Boomers and was able to break them before too long into their life, I then just started using cheap peavey G strings as replacements whcih did the job and cost a meager sum. Changing from .040 to .045 will help yes, I used .040 for a while on my brother's recomendation (he uses .035 or sometimes .030 the crazy foo, still manages to have his strings last for years, largely because he doesn't slap much I guess). When I changed to .045 I noticed an increase in how long the strings lasted.

16. Ok, I guess my next set of strings will be DRs... Thanks for the help everyone:)

17. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Going against the trend here, I broke a DR G string. I think the problem was in the bridge though. It was a DR steel Low Rider. I have since filed the saddle some and havn't had a problem with the Pro Steel (ugh) I have in there. I really liked how the DR sounded and will likely get another soon.