Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I killed my 8khz...call the police

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cat, Sep 17, 2001.

1. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    on my hartke 3500 I have to completely cut the 8 khz knob (all the others are flat), otherwise there is quite a bit of hiss even at low volume. Is this normal or is there something wrong (e.g. bad connection, cable, etc)?

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Well, hatke´s normally do not produce too much hiss.
    But it could be your cable (not very shielded), you bass (noisy electronics, or too much treble boost if active)

It depends on your speakers too. Specially if you have a tweeter/horn, the high range hiss will be more noticeable.

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Could also be that the Pre-amp tube needs a replacement.
    Check it using only Solid State Preamp.

4. Sounds like my 3500. Got hissy if you turn the preamp gain up to high. Cut the 8 and 4kHz and the noise goes away. I seriously suspect the preamp tube, cause sometimes it would fart if using only tube preamp and you hit it with a hot signal. But it's just a backup right now, in case something fails on my pre/power setup. I'll get around to sticking a better tube in it, and playing with brands of tubes for fun. The thing is super easy to take apart and replace the tube.

And good idea about using just the SS preamp. Good way to troubleshoot/commission.