Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I killed my bass...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TheBrad, Feb 18, 2006.

1. TheBrad

TheBrad Baby step bassist - 90% n00b

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
    So yesterday I got a pair of used Nordstrand Jazz pups in the mail, so I shieleded my bass and then proceeded to install the pickups. Traditional V-V-T set up, I plug it in dead silent. I'm thinking I am hot **** because there is no hum at all, I restring it then plug it in so I can test out the new pups and it's DEAD. Nothing sounds, I fiddled with all the knobs and I couldn't get a peep out of it. I opened it up again and fixed the only thing that I saw as wrong (the bridge pup was installed backwards) and well it's still dead. The only time I can get any noise out of the bass through my amp is unplugging it.

So electronic gods and wizards of Talk Bass, please come to my aid.

2. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    You're probably grounding out somewhere....I live in Murrieta, so if you need help, PM me and you can come over, and I can take a look at how you have it wired. I've wired up dozens of jazz basses, so I should know in a second if you have something mis-wired.
    Matt

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Well, the good news is that there is not really any way you permanently damaged anything. Soldering mistakes and can be fixed, and joints can always be re-done.

Maybe if you took a picture to show what you've got now and post it, we could take a look and maybe help you out a little bit.

4. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Get with jacochops. It's a lot easier to troubleshoot when you are physically able to see the circuit and test the connections etc...

5. TheBrad

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
    PM sent to Jaco.

It just doesn't make sense to me because the wiring is exactly the same as it was with the stock pups. I can try to take a picture, it's a little tight in the cavity so I can't open it up all the way. I'll try though.

6. TheBrad

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
    As I promised, bad photos:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. punkindrublic

punkindrublic

Dec 10, 2005
    The same thing happened to me about 2 months back... I tried re-soldering, i pretty much ripped the thing apart in rage and put it back together again... So i gave up and took it to a local music shop where the guitar tech fixed it in a few minutes and told me that it was a wire that had shorted... I've never heard of that happening in a passive bass, but oh well... works now...

Moral of the story, pay 20 bones and get it takin care of by someone who knows what they're doin..... Good luck dude, hope you get it up and runnin sooooon

8. TheBrad

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
    I got with JacoChops (and yes he does have Jaco chops!) today and he repaired what was going on with the pups, it was grounding out. He totally went above and beyond the call of duty! Setup the bass and fixed the neck. He is great, amazing, wonderful...more synonyms for great out of the thesaurus here. I do not believe I can thank you enough, I am eternally in your debt sir. I believe I could go on for days with praises.

He then proceeded to correct the error of my ways and introduced me to Jaco, I'd heard a few songs here and there and always meant to buy one of his CDs but always put it off. He gave me a Jaco mix CD for the drive home. :hyper:
    I stopped by Best Buy to try and pickup the self-titled album but they only have the tribute album, so I just ordered it online.

If you ever need anything help, just give me a holler. I will be willing to attempt to repay you for services rendered.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Guess I should take back all those nasty things I said about him when he wasn't around. :D ;)

10. TheBrad

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
    I'd say so. :smug:
    I am in his court now, haha.
    Let's put it this way, if he was accepting friendship applications I'd be applying every 30 days. Really nice and very cool.

I totally forgot to mention that he gave me a set of his prized Olympia strings, they're pretty awesome. Really bright, but that could just be because they are brand new.

11. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Hey Brad,
    No sweat! It was a real pleasure meeting you, and I'm honored to have been able to help out! If you need something else in the future, gimme a call!

The pickups were making contact with the copper shielding foil he put in there. That was a very smart thing to do, as the shielding foil makes a great difference, especially with single coil J pickups. The problem is, that Fender doesn't rout out that much room around those large pots, so there wasn't enough clearance between the walls of the cavity with the added thickness of the copper shielding tape and the pots. It was just grounding out. Brad did a fine job of soldering...I added a little more length on the grounding wire to give us a wee bit more room to work.
    I rounded over his fingerboard edges with a razor blade, then 220 and 400 grit paper, then some OOOO steel wool so that the edge of the fingerboard felt "rolled", or broken in, like an old 60's J Bass. We just cleaned the fingerboard and polished the frets with some OOOO steel wool, used some Dr. Ducks on the rosewood, and some GHS Guitar Gloss (GREAT stuff!!) on the body, strung 'er up, did a quick setup, and Brad's bass played better than new!!! His bass, BTW, is a VERY nice 60's reissue J Bass in 3 tone burst (MIM)....the nicest MIM J bass I've laid my hands on. (Dammit...GAS Building... :eek: )

Yeah Brad, those strings should settle down pretty quickly!
    The strings I put on his bass were from a Korean company called Olympia....they were 2.30$ a set!!! :eek: You gotta love the free-trade market! I'm thinking about ordering 100 sets or so, and offering 'em up to TBers to try...probably around 5 bucks a set to pay for the strings, shipping, and the occasional pizza! Anyone here interested? We could do a "Taste Test" to see what the concensus is....

Whaddaya think? Anyone here game?

12. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Nice work Matt!!! Jaco was looking down and smiling on you. I'll give them strings a try. If you like em, there's a good chance I will too! I'll be glad to send you a five spot.

13. TheBrad

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
    Considering what I've been paying, count me in for 5 pair.

14. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Do they come in 5 and 6 string sets? If so, count me in!!!!

15. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    +1

16. TheBrad

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
    Forgot to tell you, if you need to satiate your GAS Guitar Center had some of the Classic 60s reissues the last time I was in there (about a month ago) it's model number is 013-1800

17. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Excellent stuff!

Times like these make you go all fuzzy inside to see how great the TB community is! :)

18. mattvon

mattvon

Jan 22, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    +1

And it IS awesome to see what a cool group of people post here on TalkBass. :)

19. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I'm definately interested in buying a couple of those sets Jaco!
    I need some Rounds for my fretless.
    PM me if you're serious about it!

-Mark

20. i could use as many string sets as i can get!
    count me in for a 4 string set