Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I knew I shouldn't, but I had to...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RAM, May 5, 2002.

1. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, it's not like I've got the cash, considering I'm completely and utterly unemployed. But, I was up in Milwaukee this weekend and had to make the extra hour and 40 minute trek up to Kaukauna, WI, where the home of the only dealer in the midwest for Rob Elrick's basses lies. Electric City Music. Let me just say, the guy was so accommodating, he allowed me into his store, knowing I was without cash, 15 minutes before closing, and stayed 2 hours AFTER closing, just because I'd driven all the way from Chicago! That's a heck of a guy! Totally nice guy (his name was Jim).

Anyway, all he had was a single cut 6-string. I'm no six string player...well...so I thought. This had a 36" scale, which I hate...or so I thought. It had one pickup instead of two, which isn't as versatile (as I'm used to)...or so I thought. This had a ramp in front of the pickup, which I've never played with.

First of all, let me just say, this bass played nicer than any bass I've ever played, and actually, to my disbelief, played better than any MTD that I've ever played! Go figure! Some of you may know how much I love MTD basses: in fact, they converted me from 4-string to 5 with zero effort! I love everything about MTD's, except, they've never been as nice as this bass! Burled walnut top, black hardware, and maple neck (I'd get wenge). Body was not ash, rather it was walnut. I think I like the walnut. Is ash better? Jim was trying to tell me I'd like it more. Oh well...if somebody can compare the two for me, let me know.

Anyway, Jim went one step further: he called a local resident who bought a 4-string Elrick for his son. It had one of the most beautiful burled tops I've ever seen! I played it, and...ho-hum! No big deal. In his defense, the batteries and strings could be very old...it just sounded dead and flat. So, I went back to the 6-string. I couldn't put it down. It was so much fun to play, and so much lighter than my Spector, which has 2 less strings, less bridge mass, less electronics, 2 fewer tuners...UNBELIEVABLE!!!

I came home today and showed my wife a picture of it. Her response? Which bass are you gonna get rid of to get that thing?:mad: I think the MIM has a short life ahead of itself...(it's very replaceable in the future, right???)

Oh well...new goal: graduate from MBA school tomorrow (not really) and buy myself that darned Elrick!!!

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you will be assimilated

:D

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    John,

2 questions:

1. Do you have basses with walnut in one and ash in another?

2. What are the scale lengths of your basses?

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Sounds like you just found YOUR bass :). I say get it what ever means nessicary :)

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I found a way...ha ha ha!!! Financially, it'll be a huge chore, but I found a way to talk my wife into it. It'll take a while, but I know it'll be worth it!

Did I mention the one I played had a cocobolo fretboard? I'm now sold on that on a wenge neck. Just had to mention that!

I'm actually losing sleep over this! Good thing I don't have to wake up for work in the morn, huh?

6. RAM,

Like I mentioned to you the other day, I'm in the same boat as you. Graduating from MBA school and no job yet. I have a Stingray 5 on the way as a graduation present now, so if you can figure out a way to get your dream bass, more power to ya, man!

Good luck!

7. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    RAM, Isn’t that store and its employees amazing?!?! They are so friendly and incredibly helpful.

I’ve taken the trip from Fond du Lac to Kaukauna a few times specifically for that store. The customer service there is top-notch.

Despite being 17 and broke (what a coincidence, eh?) they treat me like I’m a pro with pockets filled with hundreds. The last time I went I was trying out a Skyline 5er and talking to Will (one of the great employees I’ve known for a few years) when the owner comes over and says "Here, try out this new Elrick 6er that we just got in." Needless to say the Elrick really wasn’t my thing, but it was just so cool to be treated with respect at this store where as other stores (GCs) treat me like some brat kid who knows squat!

I don’t remember the specific details of the Elrick I tried out but who knows, Its coulda been the same bass you’re in love with.

I’m just itching to take another trip to that store!

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, great guys in there! But, I think anybody who was willing to grab his son's bass and bring it down to the store for some unknown guy to try it out has got to be great, too!

How long ago were you in there? Was the bass a single-cut with one pickup? That's the one I played.

9. Resistence is futile:D

Go for it man. Like I always say where there is a will there is a way.:)

10. Does this look like the bass? The Electric City folks had it up on Ebay a while back...

[​IMG]

11. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I was there a month or two ago by now probably. The bass I played was a single cut-away but I don’t remember if it had one pup or two.

Let me know if you decide to pick that bass up, maybe I could meet you at the store.

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's the one!:D
    a) I REALLY can't come up with the cash now anyway, but do you remember how much it listed for?

b) I want a wenge neck, anyway.

13. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It won't be that exact one, but when, and I mean WHEN I make the acquisition, I'll let you know...we'll jamm and have lunch or some'n.

14. The starting price was $2800, but that was below the reserve and it got no bids. The BIN price was $3350. The auction is here, for a little while longer anyway:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=859654180

Evidently, it's used. The description is a little odd--"in unbelievable condition, I thought it was new" doesn't quite make sense coming from a shop that's probably the only Elrick dealer in the area. The price on a new one is likely to be in the $3k+ range, I'd guess.

I've had an Elrick with a wenge neck, and it feels and sounds great, but rather different from the maple-necked ones in my experience--something to take into consideration if you really liked this one. I don't think I've seen one of the single-cutaway models with a wenge neck, though, so that could be kinda cool.

Mike

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I had a bassist friend from out of town over today to go through the arsenal and check out the new (to me) rig. He played my NJS semihollow fretless 5 and it floored him.

Good luck on the Elrick, RAM:)

16. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Thank you, sir!:D

I will probably have it built for me, since they're so hard to come by, used. Particularly the way I've described.

17. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I looked it over pretty carefully. Initially, the neck was setup so straight that it was unplayable! I had him adjust the neck so there was just a touch of bow, and the action was still incredibly low. So low that when I played with a light touch, it was like buttah!!!

Anyway, there were a couple of very hard to find nicks in the wood, but was otherwise pretty much mint. Jim, the guy who I worked with, told me that it'd go for $3,800 new. I have a price sheet that he gave me, and it shows that single-cut 6-stringers start at $4,500. I personally think he's asking too much. I can't remember if he told me the bass is on consignment. Part of me thinks it might be, part says no.

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, let's see...

1. my 8 strings are fretted - walnut and fretless - koa. my fretless 7 neck through is ash with a maple top. the fretless body of the doubleneck is ash with some maple, oak and a few other woods on the top, while the fretted side body is wenge and top is 4 other kinds of wood :D.

2. my 7 7 strings are all 34" scale length. the 2 8's are 35". not really too much difference, imo. the low F# on the 35's has a different sound to it, slightly, a bit drier, but not necessarily better than the low F# on my 34's

19. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Geez! I haven't seen pix in a long time. I guess I forgot. Dumb question.

Anyway, the bass I played had a mahogany body, maple neck, cocobolo fretboard, and a burled maple top. I was just trying to think of how it would sound had it been a wenge neck and a mahogany body or a wenge neck with a swamp ash body.

Also, it had a 36" scale, which admittedly scares me a touch. Don't get me wrong, I've got very large hands, but have usually played 34".

20. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Maybe the farther you drive to visit his store, the nicer he is to you, cuz I'm only a few minutes away and I think the guy's a dink!

How come you peeps are within spittin' distance of me and we didn't get together? Damn you all!