I knew i shouldnt have picked up that tobias signature....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 513rocks.com, Jan 14, 2006.

1. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i got off work early yesturday and didnt have anything to do so i stopped in at the local guitar center to look around. pretty much the same crap thats always there:meh: . then i saw a tobias on the wall. beautiful dark zebraswood natural finish with black hardware. i grabbed it to see what it was. its a gibson tobias signature 4 with zebrawood top. it has a serial number up in the 4000's. they have it priced at 1699.00. i started looking in over and was really suprised how nicely put together it looks. plugged it in (mistake). started playing it. have you ever picked up a bass and within the first minute knew that that was the bass for you? this thing plays better than any bass ive ever played. the lowest action. the neck is so strong, i can try to bend it and cant. i played it and looked at it for over an hour. i heard nothing but bad things about how bad gibson tobias are. ive been gassin for a tobias bass for 15 years. came really close to pulling the trigger on a couple pre-gibsons and never did because of the price and they never really felt that great, not like this one. but this is the first 4 string tobias ive ever played. all the pre-gibson tobias ive played were basic-5's.
    well anyways, i have a friend at guitar center and they let me take it home for a couple hours so i could play it through my rig. when i got home and plugged it in i was ever more in shock, it sounds awesome!!
    i used to own a usa spector ns4 that was awesome. i compare all bass tones to the way that bass sounded (i still hate myself for getting rid of that bass). and i curentally have a sadowsky uv70 (greatest jazz bass ive ever played). this tobias sounds awesome. probably better that the spector did. its not really fair comparing the sadowsky to it cause a jazz is a jazz. but this tobias is just special.

i took it back last night and told them id give it a day or two to think about it. i couldnt hardly sleep last night. i can get a pregibson tobias for close to that price. plus im a pretty big guy and i always buy small body basses and regret doing it after a while and usually sell them. but this bass is kinda heavy for its size. its just such a solid bass.

1700.00 is a lot of cash plus the resale value of gibson tobias basses are terrible. i did look up a signature 4 on musicians friend last night and it looks like the signature is the top of the line tobias and they go for around 4750.00 new (aint that crazy?!?) im one of those guys that gas for a different bass every week and usually wait it out for a couple days and it goes away. plus i really dont need another 4 stringer. the sadowsky is all i need.

so what do you guys think? :confused:
  2. It's a different sound from your sadowsky for certain. Anothing thing to consider is I really like how Tobias basses cut through in the mix more so then their stand alone tone too... dunno, my only words are the same thing happened to me with my warwick and I've never looked back/regretted it.

*EDIT* I also just guess that it would be difficult to record with a tobias, probably sound really noisy and have a lot of treble but this is just guessing from basses with a similar sound... *shrug* But then again you have the sadowsky to record with ...
  3. Wonder

Dec 18, 2005
    Hey there,

Step away from the bass... Taxes loom LARGE on the horizon! ...at least that's what I suggest. (...as if it's worth anything since I just bought a 4 string Elrick) :)

4. Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    As you say, let it sit for a few days and see if the need to have it goes away. Don't be too swayed by what others think. If it's the right bass for you, you love the feel and sound, and it's put together well, then go for it if you like it that much.
  5. Peg_legs

Nov 19, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    I say go for it, if you can afford it. The right feel and tone in one intrument? I've regretted waiting the couple of days to think about, only to find it sold when I went back to buy.
  6. Doesn't GC still have a 30-day return policy?
  7. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    I would not hesitate just because it is a Gibson production era. Mike, typically, did a faithful job transferring the build process to Nashville, at least as far as he could. I think everyone was more than a little sad that such fine instruments went out of his control. The subsequent instruments did have some irregularities, but the good ones were good. So, if you find one that doesn't have fret issues, and the carving is well done, and most of all sounds good, its probably a great instrument. Yes, resale is not as good as pre-Nashville, but at that price, someone else already took the hit.
  8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I think I'd offer them $1299 and see what happens. If you really want it, and push comes to shove, go up to like $1450....but if they have it marked at $1699, I guarantee you there is plenty of profit in the price, and there is room to wiggle.
  9. I was at the Gibson store in Nashville in June - played a 6 string Tobias Basic - retails in the 4K+ range - it was near the end of the month (always the best time to buy retail), and what a sweet instrument it was - plugged in and played it, since I knew I'd never be able to afford it. I had to walk out of there when the salesperson got down to 1900, since I would have never been able to go back there - ever - or walk into any other music store for the rest of my life. But it also started me looking for "what else is out there" after I read all that I could on the current era Tobias.

If you like it that much, CAN wait, and it's still around near the end of the month, make an incredibly low offer, and see where the negotiation takes you.
  10. chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    A bass at a GC that plays great with low action?! I don't believe it. It must've been setup really well before they got a hold of it. :smug:

Anyway, if you can afford it and it offers some tonal variety over your other basses, go for it. Of course, I have no self-control at all lately... the GAS is slightly out of control :rollno:
  11. jdlwareagle

Nov 13, 2005
    Mobile , AL
    Just in case that price was a roadblock , my Killer B 5 is in the classifieds . :eyebrow:
  12. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i think it was just traded in, at least in the last month or so. while i was there i played a geddy jazz and at the 20th fret there was over an inch between the fret board and the e string. i couldnt believe it.
  13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i can't believe it either- there is not a bridge made that can raise a string an inch... a full inch? i'd like to see that!
    i say make them an offer on the Tobias. if you like it that much, you'll regret it if it gets sold.
  14. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    You'll be sorry if you don't:bag:
  15. +1 - and if you don't like it, you can always post it for sale here;)
  16. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    This is off topic, but...

Is this something that alot of people do when checking out a bass? I've never heard of anyone doing that before. Quite honestly, I've NEVER seen a bass that had a neck capable of being bent with bare hands. :confused:
  17. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Only a trade in my friend.:D
    That is my biggest complaint about the GC's in my area. They just pull them out of the box and throw them on the rack. Most of the time even the trade ins are in bad shape because the strings are dead.
    I would rather just by used or online from a place with a good return policy.
  18. Some people will do harmonics and push on the tip of the headstock to change pitch (same effect as a whammy bar). Can be used to gives the harmonic notes a vibrato effect. If the neck is too thick it may be more difficult to do this effect which i suspect he was referring too
  19. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Oh yeah? Well, I was at GC two weeks back and I played an awsome looking Pedulla Thunderbass. You know, the neck-through variety. The action was so high it was ridiculous. My guess was that is that the string height at the last fret was 3/4". How the heck do they manage to ruin such nice basses? Maybe not as bad as the fender you played, but the displayed price for the Pedulla as $2999.00.