1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I Knew It! Patitucci now plays half-rounds...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Altitude, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I swore that, beginning in about 2004, Patitucci's tone became markedly more mellow. It appears he is now stringing half rounds, according to this interview with Aguilar.

I'm not completely sure I like the new tone, but he says it's the direction the prevailing style is moving in, and I'm not sure I disagree. I've moved to nickel from steel myself, and I was a steel guy for a long time.

2. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Awesome!

"I am also using D'Addario Half-Rounds on my signature Yamaha 6 string bass. The combination of the warmth of the strings, a medium to high action, and the tube sound from the Aguilar give the electric a warm and acoustic feeling."

I love it. I have a TRB6p, a very similar bass to Patitucci's TRBJP and I use Ken Smith Bass Burner Taperwound Nickels. I might have to try out the half-round out anyways, because JP is my hero.

Another interesting point: medium to high action. I suppose the fact that he plays upright helps in his maniac chops, regardless of the action.

3. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Yeah, that is an interesting point. You would automatically think he is a low-action guy, and I think you are right on about the effect of his upright chops. However, I think this is a new change for him too, as I definitely hear some low-action fret noise on some of his eariler solo recordings.

4. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    True true.
    When we hear the new album we'll know whether or not it slows him down --

HAH! Like that's gonna happen

5. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    What prevailing style is he referring to? NY Studio work / record dates?

6. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I think he is referring to a general trend in the industry away from what has been described as "modern/zingy/solid state/bright" tone and back towards a "vintage/warm/tube/not-so-bright" tone. Personally, I prefer the former, so if true I'm not all that crazy about the trend. However, this interview is not the first time I've heard this - a bass teacher of mine made the same mention about a year ago.

7. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Think we'll hear Victor Wooten playing a Fender precision with flatwounds? :)

8. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Have you heard Eldar Djangirov's 'Eldar' CD?
    I just remembered, JP's tone was very tacky sounding on the 1 track he played electric on - track 10.

If he was playing half-rounds then, I would be very surprised. Interesting though dunno